Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Buying truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Buying truck questions

Ok, I'm a newb to trucks & openly admit it. Last night I went to look at a 1997 Silverado Z71. The guy only wants $3k flat for it, its got 211k miles. Everything seemed to work properly including the push button transfer from 2-4wd. Its a little ruff like youd expect from a 97' model with 211k miles, got some scratches & dings but no big dents I'd consider "bad", hazed headlights, chipped corner lenses & the chrome on the grill is doin a funky bubbling thing like its separating from the plastic. I figure all this is just cosmetic & can be fixed cheaply.

Truck seemed to idle super quiet, smooth, no leaks under the truck, no seeping valve cover gaskets or anything up top. It started first turn of the key several times in a row. I let it idle for about 15 minutes & if the stock temp gauge is correct it held temp perfectly. Throttle response seems spot on, guy said he just put a new dist, plugs & wires in it.

Is there anything I should go look over again? I want to check this truck out really good. $3k is my ceiling for what I can spend so I'm not expecting a awsome truck but I dont want to be fooled into a turd either. The guy I work with has a 93' Z71 & he told me to put it in 4hi & hold the brake to see if it'll pull through the brakes without making any grinding noise to check the 4wd, is this a correct way to check it? I havent test drove it yet as I got there right before he closed & had no cash on me. But I do plan to go back & test drive it of course.

Truck is gonna be a daily driver, fishing, playin in snow & mudding truck. Thankx for any pointers on things to check & any advice you can offer. And yes, I have been doin searches on here everyday to learn as much as possible on my own but sometimes things can be missed so I'm asking, LOL.

Here are a couple pics of the truck from the little dealers site.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice truck for 3 grand
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$3,000.........Hell yeah!!! Just drive it and make sure the trans feels solid. Im not sure how to test the 4wd as I have never owned one. Check A/C and Heater. If there is any way to check out the front end for excessive play I would do that before a purchase. Other than that just by looking at the pics it looks like a pretty clean truck with that mileage and year. Should have plenty of life in it.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 AM
12 Second Club

I got a buddy thats alot more experienced with trucks & 4wd that said last night he will meet me over there to drive it for me. He said something about putting it in 4wd & doin figure 8's to check the 4wd & a few other things to check it.

I'm thinking if I do buy this one I'll get the tranny flushed & refilled with BG fluid. Change the oil, new air filter & maybe flush the coolant system & make sure its nice & fresh for the upcoming winter.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet! Its good to have friends that are willing to do that! Swap everything over to a full synthetic (i think BG is full synthetic). As long as you don't have any leaks it shouldn't leak when you move to the full syn. Definatly do a motor flush or two before switching. Just in case it has some build up.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, the guy might **** when my buddy pulls in to test drive it, he owns a local shop & drives a big lifted Ford on like 40's, LOL. Here is his truck, maybe someday I'll have a big ol' truck like this, LOL.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 AM
12 Second Club

Well, bought the truck. Lowest the guy would take was $2995 but I still think I got a pretty decent deal. Had a power steering leak so I just went ahead & replaced both lines with new, they looked like the original OE lines so for $60 it was a good investment. Slapped a new fuel filter on it, pulled the blower motor & cleaned out 14yrs worth of leaves & debris, scrubbed the evap core with a tooth brush cause it had a mud lookin crud built up on it. Now its blowing harder & colder, no more leak & smells a little better inside, LOL. Its got a bad oxygen sensor but I'll replace those next week, they are cheap too. I cant believe how much cheaper parts are for these truck, no wonder people keep them so damn long.

I also found the original window sticker, this truck was a custom order & delivered from GM in Canada to a dealer here in Oklahoma about 30 minutes from where I live now. Truck has never been owned outside Oklahoma which is cool. Rust is minimal & the sticker showed with all options this truck sold for almost $29,000 back in 1997. When I saw that I thought to myself, SOB this was a badass truck brand new cause back in 1997 payin $30k for a truck was alot of money.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice truck! My Dad has a '98 that he bought new. It's rusting out from around him, but is still going strong.