Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

A/C Driving me bat shit crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Driving me bat **** crazy

Last year I went to get my A/C recharged and I had a guy who apparently was a good sales man, and sold me on some freon called Freeze-12. I was in a hurry so I let the guy do it.

It seemed to work pretty good all year long, come this summer the A/C performance was suffering pretty bad. So I went to him and had him service again because I had suspected a leak (which I had and he fixed). Again the A/C was working great and pretty cold. 3 days later half way to lake havau ( 110F weather) the system froze over. We turned A/C off and let it thaw. Once it thawed we tried it again.. by the time we got to havasu I had some chattering from the compressor.

We drove it for about a month like this, and it repeatedly froze, i knew the compressor was dying so I just let it go. This weekend, the tensioner basically ripped off its mount on a day trip, so I replaced it on the side of the road, and it was basically rocking like crazy due to the compressor but it lasted the rest of the day.

--

Fast forward to now.
Sunday I replaced the compressor, the accumulator, orifice tube, and condenser as it was kind of beat up. I had it charged up today, and despite the shop telling me they got it to 42F (which they claim is factory spec, maybe someone can confirm please?). I have not been able to get it that low.

At Idle, I am measuring 68F. In town driving I am seeing 60F, and highway I am seeing 50F. This is at 105F ambient. They claimed to measure at 107F ambient.

They gave me the following numbers:

High Side: 280psi
Low Side: 45psi
Ambient Temp: 107F
Vent Temp 42F

The rear AC in my measurement was about 7-9F higher than the front.

Before I go yell at someone, what do you guys think? I let it idle in my driveway when I read the 68F and the compressor basically ran non-stop. The fan clutch is a severe duty one that I replaced a month ago and is still working properly
Old 08-13-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Recirc door stuck open? That's what was wrong with mine. It's behind the glove box.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They lie, at 280psi the compressor is already off. Dump the fan clutch and get e fans.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rather than get e-fans yet, I want a system that works properly. I have efans already in my garage, but I want to get a ac system that is setup correctly first.
What do you think the high side should be in a situation as they said it was tested in? Can you elaborate a little on the lie? They charged me a **** load of money and I want to be able to rub it in their face.

Prior to freeze12, it seemed to work much better than it does now.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
They lie, at 280psi the compressor is already off. Dump the fan clutch and get e fans.
Why would the compressor be off at 280psi?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You can get a colder reading by turning down the fan speed. Like mentioned above, is the recirculate door working? Pretty common for the actuator do go out of range and default to fresh air.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chevymec
You can get a colder reading by turning down the fan speed. Like mentioned above, is the recirculate door working? Pretty common for the actuator do go out of range and default to fresh air.
I checked with the fan speed down, similar result.

What is the fix for the actuator?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would only use R134a to recharge your system with, not freeze 12 I don't care if the claim it is the same it is not, it has different temp glide properties. Blow down your system and have some one put a vaccum pump on it for an hour and charge it with R134
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

What kind of vehicle year model etc. You can't just blow down a system and change the refrigerant. The type of oil used during the replacement is the determination of if you can just blow it down and throw a complete different refrigerant in it.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteChevy3
I would only use R134a to recharge your system with, not freeze 12 I don't care if the claim it is the same it is not, it has different temp glide properties. Blow down your system and have some one put a vaccum pump on it for an hour and charge it with R134
Thats what was done today.

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
What kind of vehicle year model etc. You can't just blow down a system and change the refrigerant. The type of oil used during the replacement is the determination of if you can just blow it down and throw a complete different refrigerant in it.
2002 suburban

---

Its now ~85F and i just went for a drive. Even with fan on low, it only got down to 47F which is still not the 42F they claim they got at 107F.

Quick Reply: A/C Driving me bat shit crazy