Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

a/c and e-fans relay questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:14 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a/c and e-fans relay questions

ok i installed my e-fans this weekend. well today i get in my truck to come to work anmd i hear this hissing noise. well i pop the hood and i find my a/c compressor spewing out white mist. so i pulled my a/c relay and it shut off. so i did some trouble shooting and i found that my two relays that run my fans for the a/c on side cause the a/c compressor to come on. i have the relay hooked to the green wire with the white stipe down it. this is the right one correct? instead of hooking to the wire by the compressor i hooked to the wire under the relay. which i thought was the same wire. so is it the green wire with the white stripe or what? its suppose to be hot when the a/c is on right?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

ok so i think i figured it out. my relays need a +12vdc to turn on. well the grn/white wire is looking for a ground to energize the a/c relay. so my relays supplied that ground and so the a/c stayed on all the time. so what i need is the solid green wire and it should work great. there are so many wire diagrams for the e-fans on here it gets confusing.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can turn the relays on a couple of different ways. You can use a switched 12 volt power source, or you can hook it up to power and use the ground to trigger it. I wonder if you would need a diode to prevent backflow of power (which would keep the AC running). I suggest you PM white1 as he has built a lot of harnesses. I could figure it out if it were in front of me, but I'd hate to tell you wrong.

Dave
Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

i'm pretty sure i got it figured out this time. i had it right for the wrong relay setup or wrong for the right relay setup lol. either way i'll swap it to solid green and see what happens. hell i'll shoot him a pm for ***** and giggles