Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Camshaft Retainer Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Retainer Plate

Enlighten me people. I have very low oil pressure around 10psi at idle and jumps to 20 when I give it some gas. The motor is a 2000 6.0L. I changed the oil pump and the seal on it and that did not fix the problem. I have been reading a little and some people were having issues with the SEAL on the camshaft retainer plate.

My questions is: is there a seal or O ring behind that plate? I don't remember one being there when I swapped the cam (BTW this issue started happening about 10,000 miles after the cam swap). Is there a seal on the newer engines?
And if there is not a o ring type seal are people just saying that the plate got worn down and is no longer making a good seal?

I am going to replace the plate, but I was wondering if there is a o ring type seal that needs to go in there.

I do have small metal fragments in the oil. I can rub my fingers through them and I can feel them. But it is not like something is exploding, it is just wear. I am thinking it is wear from the low oil pressure.

Also what else do you think could be the problem??? If this does not fix it then I am thinking I spun a bearing. No lifters are chattering so I would not think its a lifter and the engine is really running rough at idle which makes me think what my gauge is reading is true and it is not a bogus reading from the gauge.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a seal on the back of the cam retainer.

The part number for the new retainer with counter-sunk bolts is 12589016.
The counter-sunk bolts that are used with this plate are part number 11561455. You need 4 of them and I believe they need to be torqued down less than the old hex style bolts.

Old bolts: 18 lb-ft
New counter-sunk blots: 11 lb-ft

^Double check these values.

If you want to find the original style plate to use with the older style hex head bolts, VICTOR REINZ makes one part# B31822. You can get it from rockauto for like $15. I believe GM sells only the new version of the plate.

Some info about the plate:
Does anyone have a cam retainer plate handy? - LS1TECH
Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect man . Thanks! I just picked up the retainer plate and it does have a seal. I picked one up from the dealer and I am going to replace it. This weekend.

Will let you know.