Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Changing fuel filter guide for newbs like me.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fuel filter guide for newbs like me.

Tools needed, 13mm open end (nuts holding filter bracket to frame). 16mm open end (vehicle gas line fittings). 20mm open end or adjustable wrench(filter fitings) or (vise grips for removal only!). I'm not sure what the fitting is on the filter, I think its 20mm, but I did not have a 20mm so I cannot be sure.
Make sure to stuff some rags in your frame before and after the filter to soak up the excess gasoline, there is no hole in the frame near the filter so it just runs down till it finds a way out. I searched for a way to bleed off line pressure on the site and found this, "FYI, pull the fuel pump fuse next time, start the truck and let it run out of gas. That way you won't get gas all over the engine." I guess this may have been for injectors or something, but anyway. When I pulled the fuse on my 02 it died instantly, and it will not even start with the fuse out. In any event it was not under pressure when I loosened the fittings anyway. So it was running and I pulled the fuse to clarify. Another thing is on my 4wd the torsion bar is right in the way!! Kind of hard to get anything more than a 1/16-1/8 of a turn out of the wrenches.
Lastly take your truck in to have this done if its a good deal, ....kind of a pain in the ***.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 11-02-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you had fun. Are you sure you pulled the right fuse? That job should only take about 10 minutes.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Sounds like you had fun. Are you sure you pulled the right fuse? That job should only take about 10 minutes.
Is it a regular fuse or one of the other types? I pulled the one that is marked F/PMP, looked right to me. Does the 2wd have the torsion bar in front of the filter Greg? I don't really have the most ultimate set of tools, kind of all the survivors from multiple sets if you know what I mean. I think I'll be investing in some more useful tools since I'll be doing this more often now that I have the STS installed. I also left my jack stands and jack at work so I'm just laying under the thing with just enough clearance to do it. Oh ya the filter was the original so it was on there good, didn't want to break anything taking it apart. I think it was your post I quoted before, is there any other way to bleed off fuel pressure? I may be upgrading injectors after I get all the other things sorted out.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 AM
11 Second Truck Club

my friend and i did his at night in our apartment complex parking lot. after getting all dirty and arms soaked in gas it took about 10 min.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 AM
TECH Veteran

I guess from the time I started to the time I ended was 25 minutes, that included going back into the house after my flashlight burnt out to get another one, and a couple trips to the basement to get different wrenches. I didn't even know how the fuel would come out, spraying under pressure or just dripping like it did. If I had to do it again NASCAR style it would take less than ten minutes.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:59 AM
11 Second Truck Club

good job on getting it done!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

I have a Haynes book and it says something about removing the gas cap I don't know if that is correct or not but that is what it says.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Is it a regular fuse or one of the other types? I pulled the one that is marked F/PMP, looked right to me. Does the 2wd have the torsion bar in front of the filter Greg? I don't really have the most ultimate set of tools, kind of all the survivors from multiple sets if you know what I mean. I think I'll be investing in some more useful tools since I'll be doing this more often now that I have the STS installed. I also left my jack stands and jack at work so I'm just laying under the thing with just enough clearance to do it. Oh ya the filter was the original so it was on there good, didn't want to break anything taking it apart. I think it was your post I quoted before, is there any other way to bleed off fuel pressure? I may be upgrading injectors after I get all the other things sorted out.
Thanks.
The torsion bars...I have no idea. Never been under a 4x4. I didn't think they went that far up the frame though. My filter is about right under the driver side rear door in the frame rail. Sounds like you got the right fuse.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

i never had any torsion bars in the way i don't think. it came out pretty easy. i never released the pressure from the fuel lines. couldn't find the fuse.

which fuse is it?

i thought mine was a relay, not a fuse