Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Clarke Media Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarke Media Blaster

Has anyone ever used the Clarke Power Products SB9010A Sand Blaster?

Ans what is a good, and fairly cheap set of paint guns? under $150.

I am getting ready to start disassembling my car to restore to a 60's Hot-rod, and need to remove the old paint, undercoating, and burned on oil from the insanity of my youth.

Does it work well pointing up?
And how about for paint removal?

I do not want to build a rotisserie do to the complexities of making it work on asphalt, and in a rather small garage. But rather a simple roller frame that connects to the bumper brackets, and subframe mounts.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well guess I'll jump in here...... The Clark is junk, nothing wrong with the tank itself it's everything else. You need quality valves & gun cause the media is so abrasive. Go to TIP website, their stuff is top notch but plan on 500.00 or more but the agrivation factor alone is worth it. Sandblast won't touch undercoating or anything else thats flexable, the sand just bounces off! Heat gun or butane torch with scraper and then some lacquer thinner works for that. AS far as paint guns go you get what ya pay for ,depending on your skill level and how nice you want it . There are some cheaper guns that will get the job done but not one gun alone will do it all. You need a 3.0 tip for heavy surfacers and primers but 1.8 to 1.2 for base coats and clears , then there's the air supply, good clean, dry ,and enough CFM......it goes on & on, you sure you want to do this??????
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

I have a rather large air compressor from my uncles old shop, and it comes with a very good air dryer for air tools. So I'm pretty sure it will be a good first stage for some paint dryer system.

I've was looking at the eastwood catalog and they had what seemed to me to be a fairly ok gun for about $125. I mostly want to shoot primer with it and if I need a paint gun I will buy one for that too.

Maybe I just get my giant grinder working again with a big wire brush to take off the under coating.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's in Eastwood for 125, then it's probably in Harbour Freight for 75.
Even a wire wheel will load up with undercoat and quit working...... Heat is the only way.