Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Color changing LED needles for 99-06 clusters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shakenfake
Where is your brother located? You being in Houston means it is possible your brother is only an hour from me depending lol
You are correct that fuel and OP read backwards. You can make them reverse though I can't remember how. The DIC does work but just the normal trip counter.
Ohhh ok. I remember when I called Piclusters and asked about that after seeing his YouTube video. He said it works, but he said it in a kinda vague way. Now I see why

Oh and my brother lives in Katy. I'm out here right now actually
The following users liked this post:
strutaeng (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

You are correct that fuel and OP read backwards. You can make them reverse though I can't remember how. The DIC does work but just the normal trip counter.[/QUOTE]

Ohh ok, now I see then why nobody has made a plug n play harness for this. Because making those 2 gauges read correctly you would have to actually move the tracers around on the board. Flip-flop em. (Someone had mentioned the tracers before) It's not achieved just by repinning. I guess an adapter harness could be made, but with 2 gauges reading backwards and the DIC on "limp mode"... I'd pass on it myself. So basically from what I can tell, this is a situation of sending in your 03+ cluster to have it operated on and sent back with an adapter harness to make it work (with a limp DIC)
Old 04-23-2023, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,276 Likes on 973 Posts

Yes I mentioned this in the other thread. Hence why it is so hard.

I don’t really care about the DIC. It should still show messages like low wiper fluid etc.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

The guy I had talked to a while back who told me he was making them (haven't heard anything else since then either unfortunately) mentioned needing some ICs for it. Maybe he's found a way to use those to "reverse" the signal for those 2 gauges going into the cluster so it will read correctly. I'll have to dig in more myself to know. It's probably not as simple as I made it sound.
Old 06-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Color matching the needles to the display
Old 06-01-2023, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Color matching the background to displays

Old 06-01-2023, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you know how to change the DIC or HVAC display color? Such as to white, blue, red etc.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

Do you know how to change the DIC or HVAC display color? Such as to white, blue, red etc.
Yes and no. They can be changed somewhat using photo filter film. Do I know how to actually make the display another color? You can't. I am looking into other possibilities tho. What I'd like to see is the displays change color along with the needles and/or background
Old 06-01-2023, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

How do those custom cluster guys do it? I’ve seen it pure white and pure red before. Just need to know how it is done so I can figure out how to do the radio.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

How do those custom cluster guys do it? I’ve seen it pure white and pure red before. Just need to know how it is done so I can figure out how to do the radio.
Well actually red is one of the colors that can be filtered out of them believe it or not. I've been able to get yellow, green, orange, red, violet, blue, and real close to white, but not white. Maybe they are changing the screens for something else newer. I'm just guessing

Last edited by MagicianElectrician; 06-03-2023 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Color changing LED needles for 99-06 clusters