Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Comparison Test: 2007 Half-Ton Pickup Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by agreif
One thing I noticed is that Yota is running 10.2:1 compression on "87 or higher" fuel for that 5.7. So is this going to be like the escalade motors where they test and publish numbers with the 93 or 91 octane, but then if you run the 87 is detunes it quite a bit? If they are getting those numbers on 87 I'm gonna be damn impressed. Just funny because the escalade at 10:1 compression calls for 89 octane. I just want to know if Yota is that good or if they are slightly misleading (IMO).

Even on the little econo boxes it looks like Honda and Toyota are able to push their static compression ratios higher than GM is able to, yielding equiv power and better gas mileage. Sorry, I'll get off my stump now.
I believe that they can get away with the higher compression due to their VVTi (Variable Valve Timing w/ intelligence)...aside from being able to increase valve lift, it also bleeds off pressure. Not to mention, the hemispherical combustion chambers are very efficient...yota's have been using em for years
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I believe that they can get away with the higher compression due to their VVTi (Variable Valve Timing w/ intelligence)...aside from being able to increase valve lift, it also bleeds off pressure.
So their static CR is higher, but they aren't getting as high of a dynamic CR due to bleed off? If I'm understanding you correctly, I am hearing that if you set up GM valving and Yota valving on the same engine (same static compression ratio) the dynamic on the Yota would be lower than the GM, allowing for lower octane, right? So with variable timing, the static ratio is a bit misleading for an apples to apples comparison?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by agreif
So their static CR is higher, but they aren't getting as high of a dynamic CR due to bleed off? If I'm understanding you correctly, I am hearing that if you set up GM valving and Yota valving on the same engine (same static compression ratio) the dynamic on the Yota would be lower than the GM, allowing for lower octane, right? So with variable timing, the static ratio is a bit misleading for an apples to apples comparison?
That's pretty much the way it was explained to me if I was told correctly. I actually asked a trainer at Toyota Motor Sales how the Celica was getting away with 11.?:1 on 91 octane (this was a few years ago), and he contributed it to the VVTi system. At the time when Toyota started using VVTi, they also stopped using EGR, as the VVTi was able to compensate and control cylinder temps and pressures, rendering the EGR system no longer necessary. (by this point, Toyota wasn't really using EGR to recycle exhaust gasses for "cleaner" tailpipe emissions, as the engines were/are efficient enough on their own not to need it. Toyota was just using EGR to cool cylinder temps to reduce NOx emissions)
Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

man gm get you head out of you aaa and just let us order rc trucks with what ever motor you have ls7 would befine.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NegraRCSB2X4auto
man gm get you head out of you aaa and just let us order rc trucks with what ever motor you have ls7 would befine.
and a ******* 6 speed trans !!
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah i think that eventually i am going to do a TRD swap in my truck, lol
Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

right, used to be they were swappin chevy engines into toyotas
Old 07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The Chevy truck needs a couple more gears in the transmission. I'm not sure why GM hasn't built a heavy duty 6-speed automatic!
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Is this TRUE??
That just sounds stupid... so there is no point in puttin it to the floor? Ive got to find someone and get the stock tune to look at it..... Thats just odd.

Trust me, its true. I'm not a tuning guru, so I don't know all the terms and ins and outs, but when Wheatley tuned my 4.8, there was a definite 4 second lapse after flooring it, before the ECM would fuel the system and then it would hammer down.

We picked up a 6 tenths gain 0-60 just with an 87 octane tune and removing 50% torque management. I should be going back soon to have him update it to a 93 tune and about 25% more TQM out of it.

Other noticable thing I see, is look at the torque numbers--most noticably, the where it peaks out on the powerband, the silverado peaks out with less torque at 700 rpms higher than the tundra and 900 rpms higher than the titan.

Last edited by BLACKND; 07-13-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

I have a gut feeling the 5.3L is faster than the 6.0L in the 2007 chevy trucks I think my 2005 GMC 5.3L running on E85 ethinal 105 octain or possibly on gas will beat a new tundra. The 6.0s seem a lil more slugish off the line than a 5.3l. Im dying to race a tundra, titan even if I lose.

Quick Reply: Comparison Test: 2007 Half-Ton Pickup Trucks