Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Compression Test help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compression Test help

I have a slight miss that i was trying to troubleshoot. I was in the process of changing wires and plugs so I figured I'd do a comp test. I've done the following, as posted in another thread I've found (except I have a large screwdriver in the tb since its a DBW). I did this on 3 cylinders already and dont get anything over 30psi then drop to 0. I doubt all three are bad since I've been driving the truck daily and it hasnt been giving me problems. I rented a tool from Auto Zone.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Remove all spark plugs, remove fuel pump relay, unplug both coil pack connectors. Screw hose with correct end(it will match spark plug threads) into spark plug hole and connect the gauge. Read the gauge while somebody cranks the engine for you. While they are cranking, they should have the throttle slightly cracked open. Let the engine spin three times(the gauge will jump 3 increments) and that is your reading.

Last edited by Hawaiian_Built; 07-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there an o-ring at the end of the tool's threads, so it will seal? Also, is the shrader valve still in the end of the tool?

Just wondering if the tool is missing parts or damaged since it's a rental/loaner.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Also, you need to hold the throttle wide open while you're cranking. Can't "compress" the air if you're not letting any in. Cracked open with a screwdriver is not good enough.

Just hold the pedal to the floor.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Also, you need to hold the throttle wide open while you're cranking. Can't "compress" the air if you're not letting any in. Cracked open with a screwdriver is not good enough.

Just hold the pedal to the floor.
Added video. The valve is still on the end of the hose as well as the o-ring. I have the tb wide open. I may just take back the tool and pick up another.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

See if the tool's air bleed valve is open. Should be up near the gauge.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

See if the tool's air bleed valve is open. Should be up near the gauge.
I tried 2 different gauges and both seem to be closed.

Also the video above is the 4th cylinder to be checked
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

I can see that the cylinder is building pressure. But the gauge is leaking or bleeding it off somewhere. It's either not set up properly, or it's junk.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help. Went to an other auto zone and rented another tester. everything worked fine, everything except the results.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

i was getting about the same results on my truck after doing a full engine rebuild... turned out there wasnt enough oil on the rings and it was getting blow by since i had cranked it for so long without it firin (ground wire to computer wasnt connected) but after getting it to start i tested it again and there was 175+.. try starting it and letting it run for a bit then try the compression test again.. you could have dumped to much fuel into the cylinders and effectivly cleaned the oil from the rings
Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whippled 8.1l build
i was getting about the same results on my truck after doing a full engine rebuild... turned out there wasnt enough oil on the rings and it was getting blow by since i had cranked it for so long without it firin (ground wire to computer wasnt connected) but after getting it to start i tested it again and there was 175+.. try starting it and letting it run for a bit then try the compression test again.. you could have dumped to much fuel into the cylinders and effectivly cleaned the oil from the rings
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the readings were the same. Will be doing a leak down test here soon.

Quick Reply: Compression Test help