Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Damn Fender Bender need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn Fender Bender need advice

damnit damnit damnit, i was goin up to amc 24 with two of my buds and i was sitting behind a car at a stop sign and then somehow i hit him . of course he is in a lil honda that gets owned hard by my tahoe. it was on private property so no ticket but i needa know a few things from anyone who has experienced this or would know. i have state farm insurance, do u think my monthly will go up for this minor accident? the damage done to his car was pretty bad, my bumper just got a lil dent and pushed back onto my tire. for one thing how do i re-adjust my bumper so it wont rub my tire. it only rubs when i turn slightly to the left and its just the very tip of it. and also if insurance decides to replace my bumper can i get an ss bumper or will they make me get the normal bumper? is there anything else i should check for on my tahoe to make sure i didnt mess it up, never been in a wreck before so im pretty lost. and everyone was ok so that is one plus mixed in with all the negatives. i was told by the dps officer that showed up that i need to go get a blue form from the sherrifs office and fill it out but me and my dad just think i need to file it with the insurance. anyway anything is appreciated sorry for the long post. still pissed off at how dumb i am, if i woulda just stayed on the break everything would be fine right now i feel like a douche.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Well, I don't know how much I can help you, but you will need to fill that form out, otherwise the insurance company may not accept your claim. It is a police report. As far as the ss bumper, all you do is get a estimate to get it fixed and they cut you a check, minus your deductible, then you can spend it as you see fit. You might check to make sure your frame horns aren't bent. Hope that helps, I know the feeling.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

That sucks, but let me see if I can cheer you up a bit. Im sort of in the same situation, my claim is medical. I was rear ended by an uninsured motorist and my fiance and I need chiropractic adjustment so we had to make a claim after the fact.
You will need to make a claim anyway to cover his damage, so make the best of it.
I doubt your insurance will go up much if any. Mine didnt, but I have a perfect driving record so dont get any tickets.
Go to a dealership (hopefully you know someone there) and tell them you want an estimate for every possible damage. Tell them you want this thing to be 100% new parts for everything that could be affected.
Thats how I would get some mod money. Make it a positive thing, you cant go back and change anything anyway. I think this is how 02Denali got his Denali front end!!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

yep you can spend the money on whatever you like.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Launching!

My two cents get the alignment looked at if a bad curb can through it off why not a honda
Old 07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

First
Make sure you report it to your agent or The Farm

Second
On your premium - depends on how many at fault accidents you have (and tickets)

It will also depend on how much the damage is on the Honda
3k is much different than 30k or 300k

Third
You can spend the money how ever you wish - you dont have to fix it or you can buy an SS bumper BUT they will only pay for the bumper that came on your veh
They have the option to use "used" or aftermarket or reconditioned(rechromed)
You can take the estimate and do whatever you want with it.

- It happens - why they are called accidents and not on purposes.
- Also sounds like you are being honest about it - makes things go smoother......
Hope it helps.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Or
Tell them you are Harry Connick Jr. - - and they will give you a break ..... jk
Old 07-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Truck addict

Originally Posted by LS1csherm
They have the option to use "used" or aftermarket or reconditioned(rechromed)
You can take the estimate and do whatever you want with it.
i might not have understood what you were saying. the insurance or body shop has the decision.... cause they advertise here in mississippi (radio and TV) that the insurance company does not have the right to make you purchase used parts. granted, each state is different with laws and such so that very well could be the case.

i agree with making this bad thing turn into something good for you. no one was hurt (that i know of), so you should get something out of it. also, on the insurance rates going up, watch that. we had a mild hurricane or something here while i was in japan, my wife driving home from work in her navigator and ran over a piece of metal and it bounced up and popped a hole in the gas tank. she claimed it, and paid the small deductable and ever since our rates have gone up 30 bucks a month. it would have been much cheaper to pay the 600 dollar gas tank bill out of pocket.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very true - diff states have diff laws - typically the ins co can make the decision - normally based on year, and mileage - some state have laws around parts usage based on year and mileage.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1csherm
Or
Tell them you are Harry Connick Jr. - - and they will give you a break ..... jk
who the hell is that damnit...i knew i shouldnt have posted that pic.

i think i am gonna make out of this lil accidnet with a brand new ss bumper. w00t i am happy.

Quick Reply: Damn Fender Bender need advice