Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

The damn squeal got FIXED today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
The sound seems to be mainly coming from under the bed though, ugh, damn machines and rattles/squeaks
Ohhh, we're working on the next rattle now lol...

FWIW, my dash rattles like crazy, there's a real bad rattle right in front of me that drive's me nuts. I pulled the radio bezel...maybe the gauges too, can't remember, and drove it and found that one of the mounting tabs that are on the front of the dash (by the windshield) has broken off of the dash pad and the dash is rattling there. Looks like I'd need a new dash pad to fix it...so for now I'm living with it (not in the budget at the moment)
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Ohhh, we're working on the next rattle now lol...

FWIW, my dash rattles like crazy, there's a real bad rattle right in front of me that drive's me nuts. I pulled the radio bezel...maybe the gauges too, can't remember, and drove it and found that one of the mounting tabs that are on the front of the dash (by the windshield) has broken off of the dash pad and the dash is rattling there. Looks like I'd need a new dash pad to fix it...so for now I'm living with it (not in the budget at the moment)
If you saw my post about the doohicky i found in my fusebox, it was one of those clips. Pulled the dash cover sunday, epoxy'd the clip back on. Several other clips where brokeon off but only on one side, so epoxy'd them back into place. Let it dry good and solid, replaced cover and everything, only takes a couple of minutes to pull it off if you know how.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I've heard that pulling the dash pad is easy, I've read the step by step that I believe was posted in your thread...IIRC, I have something different though, the piece that I saw that was broken was the same color as the dash pad and appeared to be part of the dash pad, a kind of tab. It was a while ago when I looked at it though so I don't completely remember...are the dash pads the same on the 99-02 as the 03-07?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Sorry about hijacking your thread, but after looking at the pics in your other thread, I think that the part of my dash that is broken may be where that little bracket attaches....either way, I'm sure that I coud fix it with some epoxy. I'll get the trans in and get it on the road first before I go after that lol. Once I get rollin again I'll probably be searching for your other thread
Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Addict

Lol no problem. It really only takes like 5 to 10 minutes to get it off. All you need is a philips screw driver and a 7mm socket. Just pull it, and epoxy it. Would take MAYBE an hour start to finish. I had a family birthday to go to so i let the epoxy dry while i was gone. Since it only takes like 15 minutes or less for epoxy to dry anyways, its a really short fix.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Hmmm, maybe I'll tackle this since my truck isn't doing anything but sitting right now...maybe on my next free weekend. What kind of epoxy did you use?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do it, it's easy. Same procedure on 99-07 trucks/suv's. The pics I posted were of my 01 Yukon.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

It's going to be a few weeks before I have a free weekend to get on it, but I think I'm definitely going to take care of it just for the heck of it...haven't done anything to my truck since the trans took a dump a year ago. Too bad that I won't be able to road test it to verify repair since the trans is broken and waiting to be pulled in lieu of an FLT Lvl7.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Ummmm IDK what it is.... some my dad had bought for a project and was just sitting in a closet. JB weld will do fine.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
Ummmm IDK what it is.... some my dad had bought for a project and was just sitting in a closet. JB weld will do fine.
Cool deal, thanks!

Quick Reply: The damn squeal got FIXED today!