Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

dancing fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 02:06 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question dancing fuel gauge

what the heck is up with this thing. i'm waiting for my food at sonic when i catch my needle bouncin around. every few seconds or so it would sink or rise as much as 1/4 tank. i'm not on an incline and there's no one jumping around in the bed, just me waiting patiently for my food, and my needle's having a freakin' party. did it all the way home too! the truck is runnin' fine, nothing seems to be wrong. anyone with some insight? thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 02:12 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, same **** here. I thought my fuel gauge was there with me rocking to Nirvana when it first happened
I believe it is the fuel sending unit. The Chilton's manual I have makes it look like it's easy to replace, but you do have to drop the tank.
When I decide to not be lazy one day I'll fix it, but until then I just go by instinct. Been doing it for well over a year now.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes i agree a hundred percent. my uncles will read empty then open the cap and hit the bottom of the tank once= correct amount. this realy sux but i dont think it is too expensive but then again i am not talking like 20$.

a little secret if you are going to do it your self. When un locking the assembly from the tank use a little block of wood and a hammer. this is so there are no sparks. remember you are working around gas and be safe.
RYAn
Old 12-11-2003, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

My Sunfire does that.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Mine does it too. You have to get the whole fuel pump. The sending unit is not serviced seprately. I got a quote of about $250 from the dealership. Could you just unbolt the bed and rase up one side to get to the pump or is there somesort of crossmember in the way?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Mine does it too. When I fill my tank I have to drive about 50 miles before it stops going to empty and back to full. My shop has a 2000 Silverado and it does the same thing. Whats up with this crap?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

Ford must have engineered this and chevy thought it was a good idea to get people to bring their trucks in for service. mines been doin it for six months. i just go off the mileage. or untill it starts sputtering . im with Chingon on this one, when i have absolutley nothing else to do, i'll get around to fixen it.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Mine goes from empty to full and all in between. When you think about it, this could be a major safety hazard if you run out of gas in the middle of nowhere or you spill gas everywhere because you thought the tank was empty. GM should recall this. If we all have the same problem they should do something to fix it. Can we start a petition or something? 250 dollars is too much for something that was built wrong in the first place. Could it be in the cluster?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:10 AM
14 Second Truck Club

petition...i think you're on to something. but i think to make even the smallest dent with this case we need alot more people to tango. i think i'll call the gm dealer in the morning and see what they say, i've got a hunch it'll be a waste of time.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

I think it probably would not go anywhere with GM, but if someone has the time to pursue it I would definitly back it. With my truck it is one problem out of a small list that I think GM should fix.

Quick Reply: dancing fuel gauge