Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Dealer screwed up my tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer screwed up my tune

I brought the truck into the dealer today to have the crank relearn done after swapping engines and computers. Well I make it a point, dance up and down and beg to please not re flash the computer or I will lose my custom tune from wait4me performance for all of the modifications that I also explained to them. Well after paying 130.00 which I thought was rediculus and head down the road, truck is idleing all crappy and when I go WOT it just hangs up and sputters . Well I turn her back around and head back to the dealer and come to find out, the tech put a stock 6.0 tune on it After arguing and explaining to them what a huge mistake they made, the service manager comes over and tells me that if I get it retuned they will do the crank relearn for free so I tell him I need a refund so I can pay for my re tune and get my money back. So now I really have to 2 foot it for the next week and then I am taking it to Joe at Vinci HP. I have a hand held tuner from Joe allready so he told me that for 250.00 he can give me a dyno tune and then program that tune into the hand held incase I ever lose my tune again which I thought was really cool. Do you all think it will hurt the motor to drive around with the bigger cam and 42lb injectors on a stock tune for a week? It only gives me hell if I try to mash the accellerator down .

cliff notes:

dealer programs over my custom tune while doing crank relearn
dealer refunds money
I drive a crappy running truck for a week until I take it to Vinci
Is it ok to drive like this for a week?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its running pig rich with the 42 lb injectors and a stock tune. If you have cats it could do them in pretty quick. Other than that you should be OK.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

That sucks man. I make it clear with the service manager before I leave. The have yet messed it up.
That cheap tune is turning into an expensive one huh?
I wouldn't drive it if it is running bad. It "could" mess a lot more than you can afford to have fixed.
also, now that the dealership knows you are changing stuff, you might have a hard time having warranty stuff fixed on it if something fails before you get the tune right. I would have just let them reflash the PCM back to stock.
Would have saved you a lot of headaches and worries.

Jim
Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
That sucks man. I make it clear with the service manager before I leave. The have yet messed it up.
That cheap tune is turning into an expensive one huh?
I wouldn't drive it if it is running bad. It "could" mess a lot more than you can afford to have fixed.
also, now that the dealership knows you are changing stuff, you might have a hard time having warranty stuff fixed on it if something fails before you get the tune right. I would have just let them reflash the PCM back to stock.
Would have saved you a lot of headaches and worries.

Jim
they did reflash it to stock, that is the whole problem and truck has not been elligable for warranty work for a few years now. The wait4me tune was just to get it up and running, I didnt expect it to be perfect and was planning on a dyno tune any ways, but now it really runs like crap because it was relfashed to stock.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats a crank relearn?

didnt need that when i got my lq4 in the truck..
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
whats a crank relearn?

Its so the computer can use the crank position sensors to know where at in the cycle the crank is located. From what I have been told, this has to be done if you switch computers.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm. $130.00 is rediculus. you should go to a different dealer. It takes them about 2 minutes to do, if that.

I got mine done for free, and I told the service manager( i am aquainted with him, he golfs at the course I used to work at) that it was custom tuned so make sure the tech doesnt reflash it, just run the relearn procedure. took them all of 5 minutes to pull my truck in the shop and them pull it back to the parking stall.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never had to do a relearn

also why are you running 42# when they are over kill? i have more a radical setup then you and only run 30# with no issues
Old 04-26-2006, 08:51 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rgvsierra

Yes you do
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this must be when using a different ecu, cause i havent seen this at all needing done. on here is the first time ive heard of this. everytime checked with the Tech II and no issues

Quick Reply: Dealer screwed up my tune