Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Descreening an MAF

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tb bypass was worth it to me... but then again i live in AZ.... Descreening the maf may give you some kinda gain but... you probably would have to move the maf in front of the throttle body... It might help it be more accurate.. T/A's and cameros have no screens.. So why wouldnt it work on a full size?
Old 02-25-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ONLYA4.8L
The tb bypass was worth it to me... but then again i live in AZ.... Descreening the maf may give you some kinda gain but... you probably would have to move the maf in front of the throttle body... It might help it be more accurate.. T/A's and cameros have no screens.. So why wouldnt it work on a full size?
I beleive the MAF has to be re-calibrated to show any gain. I read it somewhere, I'll do a search.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Well i cant really say why between the LS1 F-bodies and Corvettes having no screen. But i can vouch for what gets screwed up when removing the screen on the trucks. (From personal experience mind you )

After descreening the following happened.
1.) My VE tables got all screwed up. Resulting in a rich-lean-rich pattern during normal driving.
2.) My Manifold Pressure thresholds changed, which caused the VE table messup. (also cause i have a vacuum referenced FPR)
3.) The MAF calibrations went from being within 7-10% to being off more than 20%.
4.) Created a very noticable "deadspot" around 2200 to 3000 rpms.

Fortuantly, i have HPTuners and took several hours of logging to get it running good again. If i could go back i would have left the damn thing alone.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see... Damn! I descreened mine a long time ago...
Old 02-26-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

i think the ta's camaros and vetts can get away with it because their intake is a direct shot to the throttle body. our trucks have sharp corners to turn before the throttle body making turbulance. the screen gets rid of the turbulance so the MAF can get an accurate reading.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Like everyone else said....Leave It Alone!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Another vote for: Leave it in there! It came with one for a reason.
I took the screen out of my 2001 3.8L Impala. It now whistles when you accelerate.
Though it still gets 26-28 mpg.
It gets up and goes pretty good for being a NA V6 with just a K&N drop in filter.
Believe it or not, there are quite a few bolt on mods for the Impala with the 3.8L.
Have been looking for a decent looking factory Impala SS S/C on ebay.
Haven't been able to find one though.
Not sure what all would be needed to add it though.

Jim
Old 02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
hog
TECH Fanatic

Actually the Camaros and Firebirds do have screens from the factory. the only vehicle to NOT have a MAFS screen was the 02-03 ZO6 Corvette with the LS6. The 2001 had the screens then in 2002 and 2003 GM took them out, then in 2004 GM replaced the screens and this is only Vettes with the LS6, the 01-04 LS1 Vettes ALL came with screens.

The LS1 Camaro and firebirds used the older style 75mm MAFS while the Vettes used the newer 85mm screens just like the 99+ 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 8.1L trucks do.

peace
hog
Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

descreen it, then sdtune it, then stay mafless, problem solved.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ship it to me, and Ill send you my de-screened one

Quick Reply: Descreening an MAF