Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Diesel vs Gasoline - Is it right for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Inline and in charge.
and in a dodge

just kidding...Actually I'd like to ride in one of the new cummins 600 trucks, but I haven't had the chance yet. I've heard some reports that it lacks passing compared to the 6.0 ford PSD, but I don't know if there's any truth to it or not. I've driven a couple of 6.0 PSD trucks and was impressed with the power they had stock.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jorday
and in a dodge

just kidding...Actually I'd like to ride in one of the new cummins 600 trucks, but I haven't had the chance yet. I've heard some reports that it lacks passing compared to the 6.0 ford PSD, but I don't know if there's any truth to it or not. I've driven a couple of 6.0 PSD trucks and was impressed with the power they had stock.
I know man. That Dodge truck wrapper sucks. Im not to keen on that 6.0 Stroke yet. Guess it will take time from the passing of the 7.3.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The mileage difference between the 6.0 gas and the dmax is more like 5 mpg. I had a 6.0 and the mileage around town was about 12.5 to 13. I currently have the 8.1 and get about 10.5 around town. I pull a 12000# 5th wheel travel trailer and get 7.5 to 8.0. I need a dmax bad. However, I only pull the trailer about once a month.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

I hear a lot about diesel fuel mileage... but my LQ9 keeps on surprising me with great mileage.

If I don't have an excessive ammount of warm up time, and I "attempt" to accelerate from stops at a normal pace, it's nothing to average over 19mpg commuting to/from work 50 miles a day.

I've been spanking the truck this last week, and I was real surprised to see 16.8 as the average for three hundred and whatever miles.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Jesus, I am averaging 13-14 mpg, 1/2 highway, 1/2 city. Not too hard on it, just normal bursts to hear the tires chirp
Old 04-21-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

tony, you know as well as many others, that it is damn straight ANNOYING to tow with a gas engine, esp if you step up to an enclosed trailor. in a diesel, it is simply NICE. esp if the trip is longer than a couple hundred miles. that might not be broken down into the financial factor, but a major one. also many just enjoy the sound (esp the nicer new ones) being so manly and the fact that they make enormous power with programing to smoke other "tow rigs"

IMHO, it just isnt a tow rig unless you can flat haul *** pulling 10K+ lbs at 85 mph in overdrive. i think it is funny when i see (or hear) gas trucks turning 3500 rpms in 3rd gear getting 8 mpg trying to keep up in the slow lane. just fyi i know that most of us (i have talked to trevor from TSP) that we get 20 mpg with the programer on the highway unloaded @ 80 mph. also that allison 5 speed auto is just PERFECT. even the dodge boys say it is great. the transbrake makes drive in traffic so nice. towing, ofcourse it is smooth as butter. dont have to hope that the trailor brakes work to their potential anymore!

but as tony said, no DOUBT a diesel doesnt make financial sense if you drive say under 20K miles a year. but if you are gonna make events in different parts of the country you will drive that much.

also tony, did you take into account the resale value of a diesel at say 100K miles? gas trucks you cant give them away at that milage, but a diesel is a different story.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

IF ... for some unforeseen reason my truck ever becomes a trailer king, I will be pimping a diesel, no questions about it.

What about insurance costs ??
Old 04-21-2004, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I only used highway mileage fuel economy estimates, based on several accounts and people I know with both engine types. 6.0L trucks do average about 15 mpg on the highway. Stock diesels 17 or so.

Gator, you are correct that mileage affects resale in a big way, maybe exponential, as mileage increases on a diesel vs gas. But, you know I won't keep any vehicle for 100K lol. I get bored too quickly

Also, towing with my 5.3L truck was not a problem at all. I made quite a few several hundred mile trips towing my car in that truck. The 5.3L has plenty of power for towing a 3500 car and open hauler. Hell, on the way to Dallas (SLP day) I raced my buddy in his HD2500 Dmax 2wd (towing his SS) and my 5.3L stayed right next to it all the way up to the 89 mph limiter. Now, try towing with a 5.0L 1994 F150 and you will hurt, I did that all the way to Bowling Green one event. Yuck.

Realistically though, my tow/daily truck doesn't have to be that quick. If I got a diesel I'd probably throw a programmer on it, and do mostly stereo/appearance stuff. I'm not really interested in having my tow vehicle run 13s. I'd rather put that money into the cars and keep a reliable truck.

BTW Gator, I drove the Dmax/Allison and the Cummins/A4 on the same afternoon this past weekend, and I really didn't like the Dmax at low speeds, like in a parking lot. The thing felt really loose, and the throttle was too sensitive. Felt like I was driving around in a car with a loose converter. The Dodge was much nicer to drive at lower parking lot speeds. That Dodge 600 Cummins was one sweet setup, and its my leading choice right now. (see not needing a 13-second truck reason above)
Old 04-21-2004, 09:29 PM
Staging Lane

Tony, to demonstrate how radically things have changed in gas engine performance recently I'm going to share a little firsthand knowledge.

Back in 99 I bought a 2000 gmc Sierra Classic K3500 (old body style, 1ton, 4x4) with 454/auto and 4:10 gears. At the same time my older brother had 50,000 miles on a 89 K2500 Suburban (3/4ton 4x4) with the 6.5l TD/ato and 3.73 gears. My truck got 9mpg regardless of driving conditions, (not even close to what these LS style motors can get) while my brother had a real world average of 21mpg. I was spending over $325 dollars a month on gas driving from Tomball to Katy everyday. While my brother was spending less than a third of that driving from Sealy to downtown.
Here we are 5 years later and my trucks been gone for over 4 years. Sold due to the high cost of gas. While my brother still owns the same truck with over 200,000 miles on it. Besides accessories, tires and brakes his only expenses have been fluid changes. (engine, tranny and front and rear diffs) It would seem obvious to me that he made a better purchase than I.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

BTW Gator, I drove the Dmax/Allison and the Cummins/A4 on the same afternoon this past weekend, and I really didn't like the Dmax at low speeds, like in a parking lot. The thing felt really loose, and the throttle was too sensitive. Felt like I was driving around in a car with a loose converter. The Dodge was much nicer to drive at lower parking lot speeds. That Dodge 600 Cummins was one sweet setup, and its my leading choice right now. (see not needing a 13-second truck reason above)
Tony,

Im pretty sure you will like the Cummins. If I had the money to get a new truck, I have to say Id get a Dodge 1-ton dually. SIMPLY for the engine. Anybody know what the Dmax has for a turbo?? Is it a Holset or Garret??

Quick Reply: Diesel vs Gasoline - Is it right for you?