Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Diesel vs Gasoline - Is it right for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Dmax turbo is a Garrett I'm about 98% sure when I was peeping under the hood. The LLY is really totally different if you look at the motors.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

no plug wires. no coils. no plugs. less maintenance overall. filters and good fuel along with conditioners. anywhere from 100.000 to 300.000 miles. towing ability.diesel prices. awsome hp gains at minimal costs. pimp factor. and the ability to tow just about anything at anytime when needed. and run like a bat out a hell. my next investment will be a duramax. i have worked on diesels for years and know for a fact they cant be beat for longevity and now performance. and one big piece of mind.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

anyone been looking over at the cummins dodge sites lately? the new 600 with their three pulse injection is killing their fuel milage. guys on the dodge sites (and you know they dont want to admit anything bad) have been complaining on TONS of posts of milage in the 12-14 mpg area! this is a major problem considering the gen 2 trucks were getting 20 mpg all day. just a heads up.

also guys love the cummins for its low end power. the 600 peaks at 1600 rpms (tq). the new LLY duramax peaks at......1600 rpms.... lol. now as for their records for longevity? no one can say yet. not fair. BUT looking at powerstrokes and even the 6.5L horrid GMC diesel, 200K miles is a no brainer with proper maintanence. 95% of the diesel owners are on their next truck at that kind of milage for a new one anyways.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Gator, what are the popular Cummins or Ram sites?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/

go to the 3rd gen engine and transmission forum. great way to see what you are getting yourself into. not knocking (no pun intended) on the cummins, just learn what is going on with the fuel system. a bunch of posts and polls on fuel economy. cummins was always known for their 21 mpg ( manual) stock economy. that really isnt the truth now.

i am not a diesel fanatic, i just know what my dad and friends drive. also platforms dont change much unlike gas engines. there are a lot of others that know a ton more than me. ofcourse, all this talk is STOCK, which if you buy a new diesel, stock performance is irrelevent. and also i got a kick out of you saying the duramax felt like it had a big stall. it is true. jsut the nature of a high revving diesel. just wait till you put 400/850 to the ground. i de tune it when i get in my dad's tow right because i end up burning the tires up when i didnt mean to!

besides, with all this advice, i am thinkin about sending you a BILL! j/k
Old 04-22-2004, 09:59 AM
7 Second Club

Remember a Duramax truck is worth 4-6k more at 100,000 mile trade than a gasser.And you'll save thousands in fuel costs while driving those 100,000 miles.I don't know anyone getting 15 mpg in a 6.0 HD.11-13 mpg is the norm.You could always buy my truck,it's for sale.It has 23,000 miles and $32,000 will put you behind the wheel.It stickered at $45,000 16 months ago when I bought it.I'm buying a Ford dually to tow with.I had a bad experience with a blow-out while towing the trailer at 65 mph in the rain last week,no more heavy towing with a single rear wheel truck for me.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:08 AM
10 Second Club

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with the ford?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would like to know this as well. the new LLY motor looks awesome. sounds awesome. performs great. also with the new injectors outside the head, easy access if needed. fords are still combating their problems (esp the image) of the 6.0L diesel.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Probably because the GM duallys look like ****. Honestly, the GM's are THE ugliest duallys of the big 3. They put tiny little wheels/tires on them and the fenders bulge out without any style.

422 SS, email me some pics of that truck. I'll be buying in June most likely, after I close on my house.

Tony
Old 04-23-2004, 06:53 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Probably because the GM duallys look like ****. Honestly, the GM's are THE ugliest duallys of the big 3. They put tiny little wheels/tires on them and the fenders bulge out without any style.

422 SS, email me some pics of that truck. I'll be buying in June most likely, after I close on my house.

Tony
Nine Ball nailed it.I'm a GM person but the new duallies look fugly to me and I'm going bigger than a 1 ton.I'm getting a F-450 XLT crewcab 4x4 with pickup bed,PSD 4.30 limited slip and either 6 sp or auto.I'll decide on the tranny after driving one of each.I put 100 miles on a Chevy 4500 crewcab pickup a couple of weeks ago that my saleman friend let me test drive for an afternoon.While I could have grown accustomed to driving it my wife drove it 5 miles,pulled into a shopping center parking lot and said"I'm not driving this thing,it's as big as a Kenworth".That shot down the Chevy so the Ford is my only option,considering Dodge doesn't make a real crewcab.I had a 99 F-350 4x4 dually that I put 90,000 trouble-free miles on that I traded for the Dmax.I worked that truck really hard and it was like the Energizer bunny.The brakes and suspension on the 450 make a 1 tons look puny in comparison,I don't have the literature in front of me for specs but the brakes are HUGE.I plan on using this truck for work primarily pulling 15,000-20,000 lb trailers loaded with roof shingles and to haul the gooseneck car trailer to the track.I have had numerous close calls in the past while towing heavy loads and I'm making the move for safety and liability issues.I don't want to get in a wreck and hurt someone,myself included or get involved in a lawsuit for crashing while overloaded.It's just not worth the risk to me anymore.Last week I blew a tire at 60 mph in the rain and the sway from the trailer damn near put me into the car next to me that had 2 women and 3-4 young children inside.It shook me up enough to start the search for a bigger,safer truck.It's a nice tax deduction anyway so why not be safe.
Tony I may not have the truck in June but if so you would be more than welcome to buy it.

Quick Reply: Diesel vs Gasoline - Is it right for you?