Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Does Traction control cause control issues under sudden acceleration ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blowndenalixl
That is exactly what is happening - having to fight the steering wheel.* Can I throw money at it, and if so, what would I do?I will try some more with the t/c button off, but I am afraid that is the issue - it only happens when I step on it hard, and now with the Yank I get the higher rpms that the procharger likes much quicker.* Doh...
Ant that's likely because your Stabilitrak is applying the breaks when a tire starts to spin. as stated, Shut it off and try it. If it still does it with that off, let us know.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Torque steer IMO. Go get in any FWD car with some power and stand on it. Primary reason I hate FWD vehicles. I cannot stand torque steer.

Edit: Come to think of it, as long as I have traction, I don't notice torque steer in mine when I'm playing in 4wd so might be some traction system playing with you.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So have not made it out to the highway yet, but after 3 days of city driving with the stabilitrak disabled, the times I tromp on it (up to about 50 mph or so) from a standstill seem better as far as not having to fight the steering wheel.

I am going to go to a few freeway spots etc and try and recreate the higher speed merge and change lane situation where I was first introduced to the pulling steering wheel to see if it is gone now. Sure hope so.

Will report back. Thanks again all.

D
Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Well I finally found out what the issue was (it had been getting worse lately so I had my mechanic take another look for the problem). Turns out the wheel bearing on the right front passenger side was gacked. It had a fair bit of play in it, so much so that my mechanic recommended I not drive it until fixed lest a wheel fall off.

So it is fixed now and hopefully the problem is done for good. Always wrote it off as torque steer until it happened to me while braking hard one time, so this warranted a fresh look.

I am just lucky the tire did not come off under heavy acceleration. And I am really luck it did not happen to my wife while she was driving the Escalade, for a number of reasons! OMG my *** woulda been grass!

Anyways, happy to (hopefully) close that mystery once and for all and to put this into folks minds if they ever run into that issue as well.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update!! Not enough people update their threads once they find the root or a problem. Have you tried a launch yet to see if it solved the problem?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

About 3 or 4. So far so good. Will continue to watch for it though in case it was a red herring. But from how my mechanic would describe the wheel changing direction on its own as when there was movement in the wheel bearing, it is entirely consistent. My wife described the sensation as the "vehicle being drunk".

Gonna go for some more rips today.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by viciousknid
Ant that's likely because your Stabilitrak is applying the breaks when a tire starts to spin. as stated, Shut it off and try it. If it still does it with that off, let us know.
Definitely traction & abs.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
Definitely traction & abs.
definitely didn't read the update.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

Had it out on the highway last night and some very good blasts up to around 130 km/hr (80 mph?) and no death wobbles, as I called them. I am just damn lucky the wheel did not fall off at speed before given how much play there was in the wheel bearing.

Not sure what would have caused this play, but I do recall some wobble was there in various stages from the getgo, usually just under hard acceleration. Oh well, one more thing to file in the "what is wrong now?" database....