Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

does this truck exist?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does this truck exist?

I came across this and was wondering if they are really out there? I have been looking for a while and havnt seen anything like this.

I really like the 03 style silverado's in a rcsb....but I really can't use the 2wd configuration due to needing a good winter vehicle.

Are these a conventional 4wd setup, or are they more like an awd setup that still uses rack and pinion steering?

Right now, the GMHTP faithful are left with precious few options for RWD V-8 performance while we wait for a Camaro replacement. But one of them is an AWD, 325 c.i. V-8 powered, 4.10 geared, four wheel disc brake two seater that can be yours for under 30 grand--if you are willing to get behind the wheel of a truck.

Chevrolet and GMC trucks are available in just about every configuration imaginable, with the exception of the one that seems most obvious to the readers of GMHTP, a Silverado SS regular cab. For the past several years Chevrolet and John Moss have conspired to bait us with the promise of a reasonably priced Regular Cab SS model with the plan of switching us into a stylish but underpowered extended cab model. When I realized the Silverado SS regular cab shown at SEMA last year was just another tease, I decided to take matters into my own hands and headed to the Chevy dealer to option out a regular cab truck that, with a little help from the aftermarket, would satisfy my need for a reasonably priced and performing daily driver. A quick test drive in a Silverado SS provided a baseline for ride, handling, and acceleration. Choosing a regular cab 1500 model narrowed the largest engine option to the 5.3 and transmission to an automatic. Luckily 4.10 gears, AWD transfer case, locking differential, and towing package are available options. As luck would have it, the dealer had a 5.3 AWD truck optioned out perfectly for my little experiment, and after a little haggling I was driving home in a 2004 Silverado for significantly less than the $29,620 sticker price.

After leaving the dealership I arrived at a red light, and I figured it was time to see how badly the 5.3 and 4.10 gears would shred the 245/75-16 tires. The light turned green, I put the hammer down, and then...crickets chirping...nothing. I meekly crawled away from the light, and finally at about 4000 rpm the 5.3 started to show signs of life. It felt good up to the 1-2 shift, where it suddenly fell on its face for a geriatric shift into second gear. After checking the window sticker to confirm I bought a 5.3 not a 4.3, I suspected torque management was the problem. While underwhelmed by the Silverado's performance I knew it had potential, it just needed an attitude adjustment.

continued...:
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...uck/index.html

Last edited by darkostoj; 04-19-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Link does not work, fix or ban...
Old 04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Link does not work, fix or ban...
whoops, fixed
Old 04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IIRC that guy was a member here for a bit and posted about the truck. Installed a servo and it popped out emptying his trans.

That truck is a standard 4wd RCSB with an auto transfer case. It has the typical torsion bar front suspension and drive axle. No rack and pinion.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had to be a 4wd like KY said, i dont think they made an "awd" single cab.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:49 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
IIRC that guy was a member here for a bit and posted about the truck. Installed a servo and it popped out emptying his trans.

That truck is a standard 4wd RCSB with an auto transfer case. It has the typical torsion bar front suspension and drive axle. No rack and pinion.

Username was JohnUlaszek
Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like those wheels..too bad no longer in production
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KySilverado

Roger, I never knew he was on here. But I wanted a 2wd anyway.

As Parke10 said, I don't think they made an "AWD" reg cab. Who knows, but that article also came out after I bought my '04.
I never knew of them til that article.

EVILGMC, a while back someone on here was lookin for those wheels. At that time, I searched to help a brotha out. If no longer in production, that may've explained why net searches found little. IDK if he ever found em anywhere.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

they wee made by mille miglia...i-talian (inglorious basterds)

tire rack sold them...been lookin for a used set off and on for the past couple years

and there was never a production awd standard cab.....
Old 04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

explained here: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=282764

Quick Reply: does this truck exist?