Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Dog lovers inside please....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog lovers inside please....

I know I haven't been on the board very long, but as you can tell by my signature I am an avid volunteer at rescuing dogs. My wife and I have been volunteering for a couple years now and the rewards it brings are worth every minute of time and evey dime of the money we generously give. That being said, HBO is having a special on tomorrow night about shelter dogs and it follows the day to day activites in the life of a NY shelter. It is a "no kill" shelter but even so, life and death decisions have to be made and it is a harsh look at what rescue work is all about. If you have ever even thought about rescuing or volunteering I encourage you to please watch this special and you will understand how important it is and why we do it.

Some may say they can't watch it because it's too hard to watch, but to you I say that if by watching this you learn to help just one dog or volunteer or give money to save just one dog, the show was worth every minute. To that one dog you save it's worth it! Just my thoughts and I hope that if by just one person watching the show helps save just one dog, this post was well worth it! Thanks for listening!

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/shelter_dogs2/
Old 01-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Hey, you forgot about cat lovers, I think that all animal lover's would benifit. Now I'm seriously considering adopting a pet. All my pets have been adopted, but I've been without for a while, and now I'm really missing the companionship.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Wasn't meaning anything against cat lovers so if it was taken that way my sincere apologies! The documentary is about dogs, but it can be used as an experience for any animal lover interested in what rescue work is all about. Sorry if I offended you in any way. It wasn't meant that way. I just posted it because it was about shelter dogs so I mentioned dogs.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:05 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We work with a local shelter here in Cali....we put on an adoption day the last sunday of every month!

Got to love the pooch!
Old 01-27-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dogs pwn.

i love em.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:16 AM
TECH Resident

I rescued a Greyhound once from MidAtlantic Greyhound Agency. I see that your in GB so you might have heard of them. That was the best thing I ever did because they are great dogs and they just want to be loved. I did research on them prior to me adopting one and to see what happens if they don't perform well on the track makes me puke!! When it comes time for me to get another dog I will come see you. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:47 AM
14 Second Truck Club

when i get from overseas, i already decided i'm going to adopt a dog, lookin for either a dalmation or labrador, but i'm sure i will get anything that looks cute.... heheh. i'm sensitive...
Old 01-27-2004, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my pit bull from a rescue shelter. She was one of ten that was left out in the freezing cold in a cardboard box when they were only about a week old.
when i say cold i'm mean Cold, like 10. Shelters and organizations are great
Old 01-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mudz5.3
I rescued a Greyhound once from MidAtlantic Greyhound Agency. I see that your in GB so you might have heard of them. That was the best thing I ever did because they are great dogs and they just want to be loved. I did research on them prior to me adopting one and to see what happens if they don't perform well on the track makes me puke!! When it comes time for me to get another dog I will come see you. Keep up the good work.

Yup I know them for sure and have worked many events where they were there as well. Our rescue will be at the Timonium Fairgrounds Pet Expo on Feb 7/8. My wife and I will be working our booth all day on Sat the 7th so if you're not doing anything stop by and say "Hi!" Just an fyi here's our rescue's website: www.magsr.org

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've considered getting another dog to keep mine company. Also thought about fostering dogs, but too busy and with work and too much travel for another one or 2 dogs. Plus, the truck is too small.

Quick Reply: Dog lovers inside please....