Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Drag racing tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drag racing tips?

Does anyone have any tips for a first time legal drag racer? I plan on going to the track this weekend with a buddy of mine & his ls1 camaro and line them up. It should be a fun race if I can hook-up.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

***** to the wall.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know what it's called, but if it's the light that goes through the yellow lights, like .... yellow ... yellow, yellow, green, nail it on that last yellow light. That will keep your RT a little lower.

I didn't see a bigger torque converter in your sig, so I'm assuming it's stock, if so, if you seem to be hooking up good, stall it to about 1500 and launch off of that. I wouldn't even attepmt that if your already having problems hooking up though.

My stock cam FI truck seemed to do best shifting at about 5600-5800.

Just heat those tires up enough to get some decent traction and you should be OK.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

on the note of the last yellow light, flip your sun visor down so you can only see the last yellow light. trust me, it works.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ksleeper
Does anyone have any tips for a first time legal drag racer? I plan on going to the track this weekend with a buddy of mine & his ls1 camaro and line them up. It should be a fun race if I can hook-up.
1 Don't go trough the water, go around it and back uP ( not to water)
2 attendant at box,usually the waterman, will signal for spinning tires.
breaktorque till tire spins and release break and spinout(you want street tires clean but not Hot)
If it doesn't spin, just pull to the first stageing light and stop.Prestaged
3 your opponant will pre stage...
4 roll forward till second light comes on.stop every inch further at this point affects reaction time and needs to be consistant. first time stop there.
5 The non pro tree has three yellow lights and a green or red
that flash at .5 sec intervals.LEAVE ON THE THIRD YELLOW
Old 03-03-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whitt1
5 The non pro tree has three yellow lights and a green or red
that flash at .5 sec intervals.LEAVE ON THE THIRD YELLOW
Have the tree's changed within the last 6-8 years?

I hear a lot of people say this, but I cut .5XX lights going... "Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, GO".

This was in a '70 Olds that ran low 15's. Are these trucks really slow to respond??

EDIT: Or by "leave on the third yellow", do you mean leave before you actually see the green - NOT "leave when the third yellow lights"?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know if this is a legit tip or not, but my truck occasionally doesn't like it when I put my foot fully in it from a stop. Not because of wheel-spin or anything (AWD), but I believe toruq management kicks in.

It seems to pull much harder in first if I start out at half pedal until I'm rolling a bit (I don't know, 20 feet?), and then I lay into full throttle progressively.

If I just bury it, the truck kind of says, "WTF are you doing?", and takes a second or two before power is fully available.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marc_w
I don't know if this is a legit tip or not, but my truck occasionally doesn't like it when I put my foot fully in it from a stop. Not because of wheel-spin or anything (AWD), but I believe toruq management kicks in.

It seems to pull much harder in first if I start out at half pedal until I'm rolling a bit (I don't know, 20 feet?), and then I lay into full throttle progressively.

If I just bury it, the truck kind of says, "WTF are you doing?", and takes a second or two before power is fully available.

That must be a fly by wire throttle thing on the 03+ trucks? If I plant my foot from a stop it will just roast the tires like a biatch.

2ksleeper, you've got some killer advice so far. The only thing I have to add is to leave as much weight as you can at home. Every 100 lbs is another 1/10! Pump the front tires up to 38+ and lower the rear PSI if you need traction. Oh yeah, and some tracks require you to wear a helmet if you are in the 12's or sometimes even the 13's. Check with your track or buddies that have been to that track before you go.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Wax truck, fold mirrors, remove tailgate.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think whitt meant leave when the last yellow light lights up.

I think that is Abuse Mode that makes it feel slow off the line if you bury your foot. It does pull timing, but I'm not sure what constitutes as abuse.

Quick Reply: Drag racing tips?