Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Driver power window crapped out

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver power window crapped out

Ive been having trouble with it for a while, I would want to turn the window back up and it would not go up, I would hold the button down and move it around then eventually it would make contact then the window would go up. But now its all the way down and wont go up. I dont belive the motor is bad, I think its the button going bad! Has anyone had this problem before?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

That is the window motor. Cost me $44 for a new motor. Took about an hour or less...Basic hand tools.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah the joys of owning a GM pickup....I know a lot of people on here have problems with the motors, me included.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Launching!

So you really think its the motor and not the switch? We were feeding it direct power and for a minute there it seemed like a did go up a lil. You think I can switch the switch panel from another truck to mine to see if it will work?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's real easy to diagnose if it's the switch or motor...the electrical connector to the motor only has 2 pins correct? Unplug the motor and jump the 2 pins (of the harness side) with a voltmeter (you could actually use a test light, but it's not recommended since the resistance of the bulb is pretty low and something could fry, but you should be able to get away with it on that circuit if you don't have access to a voltmeter). With the 2 terminals probed and the window switch plugged in, hit the button in both directions. If you get 12v both ways, the swich and circuit is ok and the motor is faulty. If you don't get 12v, or get very low voltage, the switch is more than likely at fault. If that's the case, you could try disassembling the switch and cleaning the contacts with an eraser...I did this with my mirror switch and it worked perfectly. My mirrors wouldn't adjust, and I had to play with the switch to get them to work, until finally it stopped working all together. I figured what the heck, if I have to replace it anyway, why not pull it apart and see if I can fix it...free fix that only took about 2 beers to do)

One thing I've noticed, those switches are located in the perfect spot for when it's raining and you have to open the window...seems the bigger drops of water allways drip right into the switch (one of the reasons I liked my ventvisors before I pulled them off for asthetics)
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 AM
14 Second Truck Club

How did ya'll swap the motors?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an extra window motor if you need one.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Launching!

I had to to have the driver's side window motors and regulators replaced on both my Camaro and my truck. I think it's pretty common for 2000 GMs. I'd do both the motor and the regulator while you're at it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

This happened to me and it was the switch. Good way to check is with a test bulb to see if the switch has a break in the circuit.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:56 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TheChronic
This happened to me and it was the switch. Good way to check is with a test bulb to see if the switch has a break in the circuit.
I'm an idiot with eletronics, how do you do that?

Quick Reply: Driver power window crapped out