Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Duramax or Powerstroke?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duramax or Powerstroke?

Since I am also considering a diesel truck, how are the GM's and Fords comparing?

Power potential?
Better tranny?
Modification costs?
Reliability?

How much would it cost to get either one into the high 13s reliably?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ford makes a great product with teh exception of the 03 6.0 powerstrokes. unfortunately there is a MAJOR recall right now and tens of thousands of trucks need updates with problems in the programing, head, and fuel delivery. duramax and powerstrokes both make insane power with programers as well. about the same power really. also tony you will LOVE the smoothness of the duramax/allison in everyday traffic. smoother than any gasser out there.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

oh yea tony, have you given thought to the new cummins 600? it is a 2004.5 now getting on the lots. they are about the same price if not less than a same equiped duramax (ford being the most i think) and have stock 325 hp and 600 ft lbs - but they lack the great trannys of ford and GM. just fyi.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I like the looks of Dodge trucks, but not too fond of the builder. I've had good luck with the Fords/Chevys though, and they seem to keep their resale better.

So, avoid the 6.0 'strokes eh?
Old 02-04-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
So, avoid the 6.0 'strokes eh?
Mainly just the 2003's. Most of the bugs are supposedly worked out of the '04.

Here's an article on the upgraded Cummins:
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2004...ive/page1.html
Old 02-04-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Since I am also considering a diesel truck, how are the GM's and Fords comparing?

Power potential?
Better tranny?
Modification costs?
Reliability?

How much would it cost to get either one into the high 13s reliably?

Ford has solid Dana 60s on the F350 which is a BIG plus to me. They have the 4R100 trans which can be an animal when built...just like the 4L80E. The Navistar line is a good motor. They just seem like a beefier truck to me in CCSB form... they are easier to lift too if you want. Down side the stock converter stalls way too high for any performance. If I bought one, I'd call Suncoast and get a low stall as one of the first mods along with a TransGo and a 4" exhaust.

Dodge has the Cummins motor. WAY, overbuilt for the application which is good. They can be made to haul *** too. Solid axles. The 47RE is what's behind the Cummins motor...can also be built pretty stout. It's the 4 speed OD HD trans. It too is plagued by slow shifts like the 4R100. TransGo it and converter and you'll make a huge difference in dead stop performance. The Cummins motor can be built to extremes on the stock bottom end... like 45-60psi until the head lifts off the motor!

GM's D-Max and Allison combo is a good setup too. I don't like that IFS too much but it's proved to be strong... I'd still rather have the solid Dana 60 up there. Allison is a great trans but the converter is another issue. You'll need a multiclutch converter, TransGo, and a C2 clutch pack to safely get over 400rwhp to the ground.

All are pretty much the same all else being equal. I am about 95% sure I want a Dmax, but that Powerstroke F350 just has beefier driveline parts to me.

My ideal setup would be: Cummins motor, Allison trans, Dana 60s. Too bad I can't have all three.

All will require some trans upgrades to get into the high 13s. I'd start with the basics like: 4" exhaust, FIPK, converter, shift kit, and an Edge programmer that are good from ~40rwhp-120rwhp usually. See where that sticks you then go from there. I'd say low 14s like that are attainable in a CCSB 4x4 model or maybe the high 13s. You'd probably need more injector, turbo upgrade, propane, nitrous (if you got the fuel) or another programmer like one you can stack from Quadzilla.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think I will go test drive all three. Ford Dodge GM. I really like the way the Fords look also, always have. GM interiors are better though, and they ride smoother.

Trending Topics

Old 02-04-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

My dad just got a 2004 3500 cc w/ a LLY duramax.It has better throttle response and less turbo lag then the old ones.More power to!310hp and 590fpt!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Tony, I am always a chevy man at heart but my three ford trucks have been awesome in re-sell and in just being flat well built. I can not say that for the truck and the Tahoe. the IFS went out at 12,000 miles. lots of small interior and things that made the truck wear fast. The factory chevy leather sucks.. The truck was nice new but went down hill fast.

The dmax is going to be faster with mods but they have had a two year head start. I looked real hard at both but the Ford won hands down for me.. Our 2003 Gerald Truck has 35,000 miles of hard work on it and NO problems..

My Ford actually rides smoother than my 01 chevy did. The power of this new deisel is awesome and it should be easy to run high 13`s with a chip. At worst , an air box and better muffler or cat delete.. Say under 1000 bucks and get ADJ. in cab HP!!

I am going to run 295x75x16 NITTO grapler AT`s this go around. The Fords are bigger and taller and lots of little things make them a better choice for me.. Either way , you will Love the new deisels..

Tony, you are welcome to test drive any vehicle I own.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

GM interiors are better though, and they ride smoother.
Go check the Ford lots for a new Harley Davidson edition F250. Dealer down the street has one (black over storm gray) and the interior on that thing is fuggin awesome. I think it has custom 17" or 18" wheels too!

Quick Reply: Duramax or Powerstroke?