Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

EAS vrs. Optimum Nutrition vrs. Prolab

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EAS vrs. Optimum Nutrition vrs. Prolab

Which one of these whey proteins taste better? Any comments and suggestions welcome.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you right now from my experience Designer Protein by Next Nutrition (I think) is by far the best tasting protein. You can mix one scoop to about 8 ounces of water and it taste good. I like the chocolate but I've heard the Vanilla taste good too!
Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've only tried one out of that list and that would be the Optimum Nutrition. Most people seem to say the taste and value of Optimum is the best of any. I personally hate the taste of most of the powders. The ON egg protein in choclate actually taste pretty good for a protein supplement, but post workout value of egg isn't as good as Whey. I've tried ON's Whey in choclate and strawberry and personally didn't like the taste much, but then again every Whey powder I've had has just about made me croke lol j/k. I've also had Muscle Tech's choclate, which taste kind of chaulky. The price is terrible, so I wouldn't consider it. I've tried GNC's choclate as well, which tasted kind of like ON's. I think Optimum makes it for GNC though, so no wonder. I stopped taking all that **** about 5 months ago out of laziness of keeping such a strict diet, and it didn't affect me in a negative matter at all. I've put on about 20 pounds in 20 weeks or so, 70% of which has probably been muscle, and the rest water and fat. I've been seeing big gains on all my lifts without the supplements by just eating bigger all around. I personally think a lot of supplements are overrated. You can't rely on the supplements to get you big if your caloric intake isn't high enough.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have only had EAS and the GMC brand and bothwere ok. I guess I am just tires of that taste. I am olso open for other good brands.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 03Screamer
CHOP I've been seeing big gains on all my lifts without the supplements by just eating bigger all around. I personally think a lot of supplements are overrated. You can't rely on the supplements to get you big if your caloric intake isn't high enough.
I agree with this 100%. I just can't get myself to eat anymore than I do per day (usually 4-6 times). Granted I could take in more calories, I don't want to put on fat along with it to do it. I have been considering some protein shakes to do this but they are pretty $$$ and I could have the same results if I just ate more....like canned tuna, peanut butter sandwiches, etc.

Now I am stuck... around 175lbs. Pretty lean, cardio is 3-4 per week depending on weather, weights 3x/week. I have like 14.5" arms and about a 40" chest. I am not lookin to be on the cover of a mag or anything but would like to gain a few inches all around. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with 03Screamer, I use MRP's and protein as in between meal snacks and as an alternative when I can't have a good meal.
Eric, I suggest you try Creatine while lifting heavy for low reps. Also, try not to isolate your muscles since mass is what you want. Try compound movements like squats, bench press and dead lift.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

What does your lifting routine look like as well as your diet? I usually try and get 6-8 meals a day with at least 3000 calories, as well as lift about 4 to 5 days a week. My lifting routine Monday is chest, tris, and shoulders, calves,abs, tuesday is bicep/forearm and back, wednesday speed bench, calves, abs, thursday deads then I'm out, friday full leg workout. I really haven't been watching my diet that strictly much at all for the past couple months, but I usually have a high protein moderate fat/carb diet. For the past 5 or 6 months I've been lifting real heavy, which has helped me put on some real good thickness, but I have lost some definition and vascularity. I personally think there is something to be said for lifting heavy. You can't get that huge menacing look without lifting heavy. I suggest you try bulking for a couple months like body builders do, then cutting for a couple of months just in time for when the wheather is good. It's so much easier to increase size when you're on a high caloric diet. As long as you eat clean you really won't have to worry about putting on much fat at all. Once 4 months or so into your bulking phase cut for 2 months or so, meaning a lower calorie diet and maybe a routine with more repitions involved. I know when I first decided to bulk, I was scared I would end up putting on a bunch of fat with little muscle, but it ended up working out great. Once you're done cutting you'll looked ripped as hell. The key is to gain about 1-2 pounds a week and lose 1 pound a week, this means you must watch what you eat carefully not to consume too much calories per week during your bulking phase, and being careful not to have too little on your cutting. Too many means you'll store the calories as fat, and too little means your body will use muscle as a source of energy known as catabolism. Your body will burn fat and muscle at a certain rate, so if you go overboard you'll lose size. If you cut correctly you'll lose VERY little muscle though. Before bulking my arms were at 15.5 and after 5 months of bulking they've jumped to 16.5. My major lifts have gone up a lot. Bench has jumped 35 pounds to 335, dead has gone up 60 to 420, and I just started squatting regularly 5 months ago and my squat's gone up a ton, now at 440. This just give you an idea that heavy lifting and eating big WORKS! If you got any more questions ask, and I'll gladly try to help out. Oh yea, elitefitness.com is a great site for general bodybuilding/powerlifting info.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tiburon
I agree with 03Screamer, I use MRP's and protein as in between meal snacks and as an alternative when I can't have a good meal.
Eric, I suggest you try Creatine while lifting heavy for low reps. Also, try not to isolate your muscles since mass is what you want. Try compound movements like squats, bench press and dead lift.
I still have quite a few protein bars that I get from Costco. Even though they aren't the greatest if you want to eat really clean, they're definately better that nothing, and easy to eat when on the run.

I've never tried Creatine, but I agree with Tiburon, it does help with your increase in ATP storage, which helps you nail out that last gruelling rep when lifting heavy for low reps. Although I do know some people that have taken it with no benifits at all. It hasn't been shown to do any harm long term to your body, although I've heard of diziness. Creatine is also found in many meats and fish, so all you would be doing is taking creatine in a larger quantity. Also like Tib said, do coupound movements, If you're not right now you're not going to be packing on any great deal of mass or strength.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks like I need to get some more weights. I am about maxed out on my stuff. I have a small bench in my garage, preachers seat, and dip machine in the house.

Currently I lift everyother day. Full body. Arms, chest, abs, and legs. I rotate my exercise for the each part everyday. i.e. Preacher seat curls, then standing the next day, then individual.

I am just really paranoid about getting fat again. I used to be 225lbs about three years ago and NEVER wanna be fat like that again. I don't mind putting one muscle weight and a few lbs from fat but obviously within moderation.

I always eat breakfast around 6.30am when I get up early days. Oatmeal, cereals, fruit, juice, etc. I never skip that, I'd die from hunger if I did. lol. Then around 10am I eat like a nutri-grain type fruit bar (all natural) and more fruit (pear, apple, etc). Lunch around 1pm...typically sandwich and soup. No mayo or any nasty/bad toppings. Occasional creamy soups, but usually brothy. Small sandwich at 3-4pm...like a 6" Subway type of thing. Dinner is usually later like 8-10pm as I am always dicking around the house...washing cars, working out, something moving. Dinner is a wide range of foods, lots of grilled stuff, baked, and stove top cooked. Overall low fat stuff. Drink LOTS of iced tea, water, and Crystal Light. Maybe a can of soda a week.

Occasionally I do gorge out on a cheeseburger. Not often as I feel gross afterwards of eating one. I do eat a lot of TexMex food but usually grilled stuff, lots of beans, and lots of rice too.

What foods are high in caloric intake and not too much in the sat. fat end?

And File...how many reps/set are you talking about?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Optimum Nutrition in the chocolate, tastesss gooood. I recommend it highly. O yea I agree with the others, you must eat big to be big. I am maintaining right now due to weight class issues in powerlifting and still eat 7 to 8 meals a day. 2 being decent sized.

Quick Reply: EAS vrs. Optimum Nutrition vrs. Prolab