Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

EAS vrs. Optimum Nutrition vrs. Prolab

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not totally sure if I understood your routine, but it sounds like you're doing a HST routine (Hypertrophic Specific Training). So you only do 1 excercise per body part i.e. preacher curls on monday then dumbells on wednesday for bicep? I've never tried this routine, but from what I've heard it sounds like it works pretty well, as long as volume is fairly low.

Your diet maybe what's stumping your growth. You do have a lot of carbs, very little fat, and not a whole lot of protein in your diet. Also your caloric intake seems a bit low, especially if you're expecting to see gains, although I can't say for sure since I don't know what your metabolic rate is like. The carbs keep you energized, but also are known to be stored as fat quite easily if you have too much in a certain period of time. Carbohydrates have a very short energy efficiency time compared to fat. Meaning that if your body doesn't use the carbs quickly it will store them as fat, where as fat has almost twice the time to be used as energy until is stored as fat. From my personal experience I've noticed that I can have almost twice the calories coming from fat compared to carbs in a meal, and I will not put on any more fat, but will put on more muscle mass. The low fat high carb diet was a fad of the 80's, which promoted fat gain, with research proving so. That's probably why we have so many overweight people here in America, since people were told to eat high carb low fat foods. Fat is quite important, one important thing it helps raise is testosterone levels, which will help promote growth. Without fat, you're T levels will go down, stumping growth.

Salmon is a excellent source of omega 3's and protein without the Sat. fat, if you have cholesterol or heart problems. I have Salmon about 3 times a week and love, even though they warn us about mercury, I don't care that much. It's probably the best food for a weightlifter. I have sandwhiches quite often, I especially like Turkey, tuna, and egg every once in a while. I usually have a turkey once a day or more, and a tuna once. I also have low fat cottage cheese a lot, I usually go through about 2 cartons a day, which is over 100 grams of protein alone. Shelled Peanuts are also good. Chicken breast are also really good to, lots of protein with very little carbs and fat.

As for works outs, right now I do 5*5 on the bench and increase 5 pounds everyweek, once I plateau I swich to 3*5 with a heavier weight, and vice versa. I also do incline on that day, just 2 set of 8-10 reps. Also do 3 set of 10 on the military, 2*10 tri pull downs, 2*10 side db raises, 5*15 standing calf raises, 3*15 seated. Tuesday- Bicep and back 5*5 straight bar (f'in intense) and switch to 3*10 when I want to switch it up, 2*8-10 hammer curls, 2*10 preacher curls, 2*10 reverse curls every once in a while, 2*15 behind the back wrist curls using straight bar, 2*15 standard bent over wrist curls (wrist hangin off the side of a bench). Wednesday: speed bench 50% of 1RM 10 sets of 3 reps, calves same as mon. Thursday: Deads- 5*5...same as bench. Friday: Squat-usually 3*10 (haven't even come close to plateauing yet), calfs same as mon, 3*10 leg press.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hitman...you need to sell your wrx and get an sti. hehe! I had a wrx a couple of months ago, and I got to drive a friends Sti two weeks ago, man what a difference! I had a VF34 turbo on my car and the sti still felt considerably quicker. The 2.5 liter almost feels like a V-8 because of the torque. Once Shiv at Vishnu gets crackin, the Sti will be a beast...Porsche Twin Turbo killer for a quarter of the price.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
And File...how many reps/set are you talking about?
4-5 sets not counting your wormup/body part for 6 reps.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 AM
14 Second Truck Club

i use to take all that supplement stuff... i found that just eating right and excercising is the best... i take in ALOT of protein from eating. i eat 2 cans of tuna per day along with whatever they bring us from the chow hall... whcih is usually chicken.

i guess its a little easier for me, as we're not allowed to drink booze and there are no fast food joints here yet. plenty of time to excercise.

i've toned up so much from when i first got here.. i cant wait to get back in the states and start getting some poon again.

it seems like whenevr i took supplements i would lose my muscle mass faster and become weaker faster. as in now i can take a week off if need be and i am either as strong or stronger.

i do 1 muscle group per day... chest 1 day, biceps, tris... etc. i work out about 6 days a week.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Well looks like I will begin eating a lot more high protein foods. That never really crossed my mind there. I will also try out just much heavier weights with less reps. Also time to invest in more weight for the house.

STi is a far superior than the WRX... AVCS, 2.5L, stout 6 speed, etc. Better vehicle to begin with. But hell the WRX is the beater, cheap and fuel efficient. I got a few mods on mine and it's nice...the uppipe is in the mail. Mine WRX has the stronger 4EAT trans...hey I am lazy and it's more consistant too.

Hell a turboback'd STi and tune makes damn near what a Stg 4 WRX does. I've read a lot about that Shiv guy out in CA and he seems to be the authority on tuning...much better than everyone else.