Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

EBCM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBCM issue?

Okay, I got the new rig tuned up this weekend. Checked and changed the plugs and all the fluids/filters and in the process found one issue......

I am noticing a small but noticable rubbing vibration in the brakes right around 8mph and less. I can hit the brakes at high speed with no problems but when I slow down to a stop everything is fine until right around 8mph i get a rubbing vibration feeling until it comes to a complete stop. The feeling is amplified when the wheels are turned. A visual inspection showed no problems with rotors or calipers.

I did a few searches and found that it may be a possible EBCM failure and did try to re-ground the area mentioned in the bullitin. What i found in other posts were the ABS light was on and/or they were getting multible ABS codes. I am only getting one code...C0201, which is an ABS code. My ABS motor is not continuously running and I have no ABS light coming on the dash like others have mentioned having. Any other ideas i can try to isolate my problem short of sending in for a rebuilt or new EBCM?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm, well if no one has any ideas I guess I could try pulling the one off the other truck and trying it on this one. I was just looking for some other troubleshooting hints if anyone happen to have any.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem earlier this year. I thought it might have been the sensors in the front wheels, so I changed those....it wasn't the sensors. Then it was to replace the ECBM. I bought a rebuilt for under $100 and had a mechanic install it. It was the bad cellanoids(sp?).
Old 08-29-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

I changed the EBCM off of the other truck onto this one and it fixed the C0201 code but i was still getting vibration (running ABS motor) between 8mph-5mph. Unfortunately it kicked up 2 new codes once I replaced the EBCM. I threw codes C0055 and C0040. I figured i would start with the C0040 (Right front wheel speed sensor) cause I have no idea where the rear wheel speed sensors are which is what DTC C0055 means. So i took the wheel, caliper, and rotor off and removed and cleaned the wheel speed sensor. Once I put it back together both codes went away and the vibration stopped......but it threw a new code....LMAO. It threw C0035 (left front wheel speed sensor circuit). So i guess tomorrow I will put that wheel and stuff off and see if i can get that code to go away.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

I had this issue and even went as far as replacing the front sensors... but alas that wasn't it EITHER!!

Turns out it was the damn SOLENOID in the ECMB. Found a rebuilt one on the web and had it changed.... no problems as of yet. It's been in since winter 2008.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lady3bglover
I had this issue and even went as far as replacing the front sensors... but alas that wasn't it EITHER!!

Turns out it was the damn SOLENOID in the ECMB. Found a rebuilt one on the web and had it changed.... no problems as of yet. It's been in since winter 2008.
Well the EBCM thats in there now came out of the other 2500HD, so I kmow its good.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

See my truck doesn't have a rear sensor. I am just fortunate enough to have a contact at a local Caddy Dealership and he scanned the truck for me. I was coming up with the same codes that you were. As frustrating as it was for me, even rechecking the connections of the solenoid (the ground) didn't help. I'm not negating having the other ECBM available. It was just easier for me to buy a rebuilt ECBM. I paid $100 including s&h.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Okay now I am confused...LOL. I took the other wheel assembly off and cleaned it and the code remained. I went to the local "pick n Grab" yard and took off 2 other sensors from same year trucks. Each one of those installed yeilded the same DTC code "C0035". No way all three sensors would be bad. Traced the wires out and found no nicks or breaks. So I know the sensors are good, I know the EBCM is good, and I still get an ABS light and DTC C0035. Only thing I can figure is maybe the EBCMs are not necassarily interchangeable. Maybe they need to be programmed or something. Any ideas?

Oh yeah.....forgot to mention, my specific EBCM is not rebuildable. Its a Kelsey-Hayes Series 30 and everywhere I look they say they are not rebuildable. So if i need a new one....looks like I am shelling out about $400 smackers for one. Anyone got a 2001-2005 2500hd sitting around with a spare EBCM you're not gonna use?
Old 08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

That's why I had to buy a rebuilt one (cleared of code).

http://www.ebcmdirect.com/
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

It was a recall on my truck: they cleaned the wheel sensor wire connectors and that fixed the improper ABS activation.

Quick Reply: EBCM issue?