Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

engine block painting

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the pics, where can I get this stuff?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oreilly and autozone carry it for cheap. summit also sells it, but it's just as easy to get it from a local parts store. also, I think i've seen it at walmart. here's my sbc painted with chevy orange

also, the headers are painted with VHT silver
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

powder coating would be the best way for imo, it will last forever and be easy to clean up . just make sure to keep it off the machined surfaces.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

powdercoating is a POS on a motor. chips so easily and unless it's ceramic coated it's gonna get fucked up fast from fluids. I'd powdercoat it maybe if it was gonna just sit there in my garage. powdercoating just isn't strong :-/
Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
powdercoating is a POS on a motor. chips so easily and unless it's ceramic coated it's gonna get fucked up fast from fluids. I'd powdercoat it maybe if it was gonna just sit there in my garage. powdercoating just isn't strong :-/
Not as strong? Everything I have ever had powdercoated is way more chip resistance than paint to chipping. And I have spilled brake fluid on it and it not even fade it. That was one reason to do the block.

Are you speaking from experience with powdercoating a block or just posting out your ***?

Just wanted to know from experience if is worth it or not.

Last edited by Bo185; 12-08-2006 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling what else!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bo185
Not as strong? Everything I have ever had powdercoated is way more chip resistance than paint to chipping. And I have spilled brake fluid on it and it not even fade it. That was one reason to do the block.

Are you speaking from experience with powdercoating a block or just posting out you ***?
im not posting out my ***. you dont need to be a dick about it.

we have things powdercoated every day at the fab shop I work at. Powdercoating does chip very easy. the VHT is much more chip resistant than powdercoat hands down. the VHT is really an enamel, not just any regular paint. now if you wanted to compare powdercoat to like cheapass spray paint from walmart, then yes powdercoat might be more chip resistant. it also depends on the process of the powdercoat. there's so many variables, but from experience with engine parts my buddy zach will vouch for me that the powdercoat job done on his 4.3 in the roadster sucked compared to the vht he used before. it did look better by all means though.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
im not posting out my ***. you dont need to be a dick about it.

we have things powdercoated every day at the fab shop I work at. Powdercoating does chip very easy. the VHT is much more chip resistant than powdercoat hands down. the VHT is really an enamel, not just any regular paint. now if you wanted to compare powdercoat to like cheapass spray paint from walmart, then yes powdercoat might be more chip resistant. it also depends on the process of the powdercoat. there's so many variables, but from experience with engine parts my buddy zach will vouch for me that the powdercoat job done on his 4.3 in the roadster sucked compared to the vht he used before. it did look better by all means though.
Sorry, not trying to be a dick just seems alot of people post what people want to hear. I was looking for facts! Not someone post hunting. Anyway I'll call my powdercoat shop and see what they say.

Thanks

Last edited by Bo185; 12-08-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

From my personal experience a job of powdercoating is more chip resistant and durable to fluids than any kind of paint (im saying paint, not enamel).
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

powdercoating is strong , i have a few thigns done and it is heat resistant , **** it gets baked in the oven at 450 degrees so its good to that if not more, i have my wheels powdercoated and a few misc item , they are easy to clean and very durable, espeacially if your coating say an aluminum blcok , paint is very hard to get to stick to aluminum but powdecoat will stick to aluminum alot better. im just posting my experience with it and if i were looking for some color on my block i woul dhave it powdercoated.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

diggin on the orange block-looks sweet!

Quick Reply: engine block painting