Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

engine oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard from multiple people that running a 180* thermostat in your 8.1L will drastically reduce oil consumption. Might be worth a try...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to sound like a smarta**, but the oil companies spend millions on the technology and chemistry with their name on the bottle. Do you really think you can go to Walmart and buy something on the shelf for $5.99 and make the chemistry better? I have to agree with others before me. I have only been around a few 8.1L's and they all used a little oil, consider it normal. Keep your oil changed and I would try the 180 or even a 160 stat. You might be surprised. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
When you can explain to me how adding seafoam to his gas will help his oil consumption, I'll believe you.

And the 8.1L is a BBC gas motor, not the 6.6L duramax diesel...

Misread..... It won't, my bad
Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BuyAmericanIron
I hate to sound like a smarta**, but the oil companies spend millions on the technology and chemistry with their name on the bottle. Do you really think you can go to Walmart and buy something on the shelf for $5.99 and make the chemistry better?
100% agree. End of thread.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 PM

I run zmax additive every 2oil changes. I noticed a very noticeable difference about 4 miles down the road after I put it in. Same goes all my vehicles. More power smoother idle.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lawnman78
I run zmax additive every 2oil changes. I noticed a very noticeable difference about 4 miles down the road after I put it in. Same goes all my vehicles. More power smoother idle.
You're saying that an oil additive give you a noticable power increase? Something is wrong with your butt dyno.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Launching!

You're saying that an oil additive give you a noticable power increase? Something is wrong with your butt dyno.

Let me just say this; Most cheap additives are made of snake oil. Working in an auto parts store has its advantages like being able to call the department that tells you what its made of. Had a guy that would always come in and swear up and down that marvel mystery oil, i think, was the bomb diggity and he had been using it all his life and its fixed all his cars. Well I am sure it has and I am not doubting him at all but like another member said, one bottle will more than likely not change the chemistry. Ever use motor honey? that thick freakin oil in a bottle? how about that lucas oil additive that takes FOREVER to pour. ever wonder how oil companies can change the viscosity of oil from say 5w30 to 15w40? Wax mostly. So that thick lucas oil may or may not have a ton of wax that helps stick to and lube bearings and rings. thats also what causes your oil viscosity to increase with heat. it may be thin and very easy to move when warm but its' warm liquid properties are that of a thicker oil. The only real additive I use is Seafoam. put it in the oil and it helps clean gunk out of everything, including rings, which usually are root causes of oil burn. I did a seafoam intake treatment on my 4 cyl bike... holy hell what a difference. Do not know any other product that im able to toss in my oil, gas or through a vac. hose. **I am not dissing your beliefs or traditions of additive use, simply sharing my knowledge of additives. If your father used something and it worked, by all means follow it. Science cannot explain everything... YET!**
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Ive seen marvel mystery oil quiet down valvetrain noise on flat tappet engines. Don't have a reason for it, but it worked.

In my experience thinner oil actually quieted down a motor. I tried rotella 15-40 with and without lucas in my tbi 350 and it got louder the thicker I went. Went to mobil 1 0w-30 and that was the quietest it ever ran. Then it mushroomed the lifters and ate the cam so I can't say any of that made the motor last longer. But that motor was seriously abused and sludged before I had the truck, so....

Another weird thing was synthetic oil stopped all my consumption issues in that motor. Went from a quart every 1k miles to a quart ever 5k. Didnt have to add between changes, so made me happy. Struck me as odd since everyone thinks synthetics will leak/burn worse than conventional.

I tried rotella t6 in my yukon and had horrible valvetrain noise. Went back to mobil 1 5-30 after a couple hundred miles and it got quiet again.

I personally believe a thinner oil that can flow easier especially at start-up is better than heavy oil and additives.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy_freak
Ive seen marvel mystery oil quiet down valvetrain noise on flat tappet engines. Don't have a reason for it, but it worked.

In my experience thinner oil actually quieted down a motor. I tried rotella 15-40 with and without lucas in my tbi 350 and it got louder the thicker I went. Went to mobil 1 0w-30 and that was the quietest it ever ran. Then it mushroomed the lifters and ate the cam so I can't say any of that made the motor last longer. But that motor was seriously abused and sludged before I had the truck, so....

Another weird thing was synthetic oil stopped all my consumption issues in that motor. Went from a quart every 1k miles to a quart ever 5k. Didnt have to add between changes, so made me happy. Struck me as odd since everyone thinks synthetics will leak/burn worse than conventional.

I tried rotella t6 in my yukon and had horrible valvetrain noise. Went back to mobil 1 5-30 after a couple hundred miles and it got quiet again.

I personally believe a thinner oil that can flow easier especially at start-up is better than heavy oil and additives.
I switched from Rotella 5W-40 to Mobil 1 10W-30 and it quieted down the lifters quite a bit, especially one of them that was making a racket. I may switch to 5W-30 next and see how it sounds.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not ask an expert ? Have been dealing with Afton Chemicals since before they were called Afton. Many Many Years ! Go to their website. It has all the information you need to ask anther 1000 questions. aftonchemical.com

Quick Reply: engine oil additives