Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Escalade cluster swap.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Escalade cluster swap.

I know this has been touched on in older posts, but I need some clarification on a few things.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra ccsb, and I don't currently have a trans temp gauge, so, like everyone else, I'm looking to swap in an instrument cluster from an Escalade. My question is, are they a direct swap? Do I need any sort of harness adapter since my truck doesn't have the trans temp? This swap will be taking place after I do the 4l80 swap, so knowing all of this, does anyone have any experience or knowledge they can share here and point me in the right direction? Is there a particular year(s) of Escalade cluster I need? Do you think I would be okay buying one of the remanned clusters from eBay? Any help will be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Direct swap, its plug and play. The trans temp gauge will work as soon as you install the cluster. Pretty sure any 03-06 cluster will work fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slammed96
Direct swap, its plug and play. The trans temp gauge will work as soon as you install the cluster. Pretty sure any 03-06 cluster will work fine.
No, that's only true of the 99-02 clusters. 03-06 clusters MUST be programmed by VIN; otherwise you have a good chance of pretty sparkly warning lights turning on and off at random. The VIN determines the BCM's address package for sending signals to the cluster, without it, what should be speed signal turns into RPM, turn signal into ABS light, etc.

Other than that the cluster is a straight swap. I recommend the eBay reman clusters, they usually offer programming service and a good warranty. If they DON'T ask for a VIN, or offer a warranty, RUN AWAY.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I appreciate that, because i sure as hell would've just tried to "plug and play", lol
Old 07-28-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
No, that's only true of the 99-02 clusters. 03-06 clusters MUST be programmed by VIN; otherwise you have a good chance of pretty sparkly warning lights turning on and off at random. The VIN determines the BCM's address package for sending signals to the cluster, without it, what should be speed signal turns into RPM, turn signal into ABS light, etc.

Other than that the cluster is a straight swap. I recommend the eBay reman clusters, they usually offer programming service and a good warranty. If they DON'T ask for a VIN, or offer a warranty, RUN AWAY.
I never had my SS cluster programed and it works just fine. Just did plug and play, been in there over a year with 0 issues.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I was just looking at eBay, and found the cluster I needed, and they did say it needs to be programmed. They didn't say why, but said I would have to give them my vin and some other stuff.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say it couldnt hurt anything, but if you pick one up off of someone locally, you'll probably be safe just popping it in.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They would definitely have to program it for the correct mileage though.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

That's my guess, what its all about, so you don't try to sell it down the road with WAY less mileage
Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My escalade cluster I bought off ebay for my 05 crew cab, no programming , had it in there 6 years, no problems.

Quick Reply: Escalade cluster swap.