Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Ever found yourself doing this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of my friend's F-250 powerstroke he got with less than 20k on it, and the engine straight up failed on him at around the 30 mark. Then the turbo. This is the rancher edition too, so the interior is very nice. Otherwise it's a piece of crap. I've driven it and i thought it felt very underpowered.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

My father-in-law is diehard Ford. He's got an 04 F150, the 3 valve motor, and its a dog. He rags on my S10, but the last time we lined up next to each other, he got a good look at the back of my truck. My dad had a 96 F250, w/a Powerstroke. He traded it for a Duramax dually. He drove a 6.0 Ford, and said it even had more power, but the transmission sold the truck(Allison).
Old 01-29-2006, 05:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

heres a question....why do all the trucks guys rag on the other truck guys?

u all bitch/moan about how the ford guys talk down chevy...but here you all are talking down ford with your chevy....its like the pot calling the kettle black.

ive never owned a ford, just a 95 grandam that blew an engine at 98k, and a 2002 Mitsu Lancer that had zero problems the 8k miles i put on it. and my 91 mazda b2200 pickup truck...all 86whp it had...lol had it from 120k miles to 140k miles and only thing that went bad was a fuel filter and the distributor

i got this silverado and it was in the dealership shop 8 times in the first 8 months of owning it...all for just 2 different problems, but it took them 3-4 visits to finally 'get it right'.

so take ur pick...

yes, take them to the street to show whos faster....than see how wins in a tug of war match, than who hauls the most, is the most reliable, least amount of annoyances(squeaky dash, cheap radio ***** etc etc)

hell my fiancess 05 cobalt with 6k miles on it..the radio buttons are all worn out and rubbed off...the rear bumper doesnt line up with the rear fenders anymore, shes taken it in once, they fixed it, and in 2 weeks it was off again.

theres my rant...and im a chevy guy.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rook
heres a question....why do all the trucks guys rag on the other truck guys?

u all bitch/moan about how the ford guys talk down chevy...but here you all are talking down ford with your chevy....its like the pot calling the kettle black.

theres my rant...and im a chevy guy.
Good point Rook.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is some funny stuff! Im with you Rook.. you guys are talkin about how the Furd guys are raggin on u chevy guys,, but what are yall doin in this case? downing fords.. ive driven a good many fords. our 4 work trucks are fords, the new 6.0 PSD are a piece of poo.. we have 2 7.3's and 2 6.0's,,, the 6.0's have cost us an extra $25k on repairs... but for my personal truck, i dont think i could have gotten anything better, i paid $6k for the truck with 105k miles on it. It now has 136k miles on it, averaging 23mpg, and pulls our 4wheelers with ease getting 19mpg.. ive reaplaced the rear bearings, and knock sensors. thats it! and ive ran the crap out of it too, im still waitin for the 4L60e to poop out too.......... but to each his own....

drive 'em like a rental.. hahaha

here is a pic of what i haul almost every weekend..

3 honda foreman 4x4s and 1 grizzly 660 or a 2wd rancher. thats about 650ish for the foremans and about 600 for the grizzly. thats about 5000lbs with the trailer... and 19mpg,, i dont think you can beat that....
Attached Thumbnails Ever found yourself doing this?-readytogo.jpg  
Old 01-30-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Hell they can own whatever truck they want for all i care. Im just talking from my experience with the fords i have owned. Im talking down specifically on the fords period.

1998 mustang GT: Basic mods and lots of squeaks, rattles, etc. The odometer went out at 73,000 miles and it was still a turd after the mods. It had rack and pinion problems and the t-45 trannys are junk.

2001 mustang GT: mostly stock. The stock header manifolds cracked at 40,000 miles. Also lots of squeaks and rattles. Not to mention, it was also a turd. No mustang is worth a damn without a blower. I dont care what year it is.

2001 Ford F150 crewcab 5.4L triton: not mine but it was a friend of the family's. His truck was in the shop repeatedly for the brake system and the front end would never keep alignment. It got like 12 MPG too. Once again, had all the rattles of a ford in this one too.

2002 ford f150 extended cab 4.6 v8: my dads company truck. Also in the shop repeatedly for random ****. Something is always wrong with it.

1995 Ford econoline van 302 v8: Our old family van. It had 120,000 on it when we traded it in but it also had excessive problems. Always overheated and the a/c kept going out.

Im sure im forgetting some of the problems but you get the point.

I also know this about dodges.

1994 RCSB Dodge ram 5.2L v8. My first truck. Ran good while i had it. Gave it to my parents when i bought my 1998 mustang. Since then, the tranny is slipping, it has a miss and runs like **** even after a tune up and replacing a few other things trying to fix the problem. Over heats due to the radiator but that was fixed with a new one. Horrible gas mileage but im sure the 3" body and 33's dont help it out too much. Excessive front end problems including balljoints, idler arm, rack and pinion, etc. Could be caused by the lift and tires. All of these problems and the truck has 120,000 on it as we speak. Not bad mileage for a 94.

2002 Durango 5.9 R/T. My moms ride. Fully loaded with the screen, suede and leather interior, power everything, fully loaded to the max. We bought it brand new. In the shop repeatedly for the brakes and front end problems again. The tranny shifted funny and the a/c blows room temp but dodge keeps telling my mom that its normal to take a 30 minute drive before the a/c starts blowing anything cooler than the outside air. Bullshit! My chevy blows cold right when i start it up in the morning. She tried to claim it as a lemon and it probably would have got approved but when the dealer found out, they gladly took the durango in the shop and replaced everything she had a problem with and even gave her some money back in a chack for the inconvenience. So far since then, no problems but i guess we will see. Its a nice ride though. Turns alot of heads cause it rare and its the nice looking blue color on the chrome R/T wheels. Too bad it gets 12.5 MPG on avg.

I have also owned 2 chevys.

2001 RCSB silverado 5.3. Basic mods and beat on everyday. No problems at all. I bought it with 42,000 miles on it in sept. 2004 and sold it in nov. 2005 with 64,000 miles on it and it still ran like brand new. A/C blew cold all the time and the truck ran and drove perfect.

2006 Silverado crewcab. Mostly stock right now. Only had it so far for almost 2 months so im not sure on this one yet. I know the a.c blows freezing cold and everything is tight on it. Is has more options that ill ever need to use. lol. Very nice truck and i am totally happy with it!

Anyways, now that i have rambled on about the vehicles ive owned or know of, its time to end this post reply. lol. I could go on forever but you guys might hate me after that. Anyways, you guys get the point. BTW, all off the vehicle i have talked about have been meticulously maintained other than my dads work truck because it was already a couple years old when he got it so im not sure how it was taken care of before he got it.

And that my friend is why i am a diehard chevy fan now!!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 01-30-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
This is some funny stuff!...... It now has 136k miles on it, averaging 23mpg, and pulls our 4wheelers with ease getting 19mpg.. ive reaplaced the rear bearings, and knock sensors. thats it! and ive ran the crap out of it too, im still waitin for the 4L60e to poop out too.......... but to each his own....

How the HELL do you get 23mpg average and 19 pulling a trailer?!!!? My 99 Silv Z71 gets 16-17 on the highway when I am on long trips!
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Launching!

they are all ok just depends how much beer the plant workers had the night before doesnt matter you get a good one some times and some times you get a pile of crap
Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kwality is job 1!!!!!!

Define Kwality in the "Dictionary of FORD!!"

Definition 1
Kwa-li-tee: Having to replace the tranny in a 2006 F-350 at 2800 miles.

Definition 2
Kwa-li-tee: Having to replace all 8 injectors in a 2006 F350 at 4950 miles.

Built Ford tough???? How does Ford define tough????
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know who's stuff is best: My 04 is ok so far. I had a 78 G-10 and a 86 G-10 and they both ran fine for the 7 to 8 years I owned each of them. The 78 was a 250 3-spd and the 86 was a 305 auto. I had each one for over 100k miles.
The Japanese companies are gaining market share and their vehicle quality is probably somewhat better.

Quick Reply: Ever found yourself doing this?