GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

EWP ( electric water pump ) measurements and pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EWP ( electric water pump ) measurements and pics

this is the meziere LS1 electric water pump:

for those that are interested, heres some pics with proper measurements and what had to be modded to make the EWP ( car style ) water pump work. sorry a couple pics didnt show the size on the scale i'll name each size per picture. you will need 4 water pump gaskets since theres 2 spacers the idler bolt is metric & water pump bolts are also metric, though i name the bolt length in standard size. all bolts are the same diameter as your stock bolts just need longer ones, meziere supplies the water pump bolts.i got my idler bolt from work

water pump spacers, need 2 = 1/2" thick, a decent machinist can copy off a water pump gasket

idler pulley spacer need 1 = 15/16th's long, 7/16s ( whatever metric is? ) CBH, 1 1/8th ? OSD ( didnt measure it sorry) you can go off your idler bushing

idler bolt = 6" long ( inside cap ) hex head cap screw, diameter, same size as the alt. bracket bolt

how i modified the alt/pwr bracket : i would have put it next to a bracket that was uncut, but i didnt take it out the truck

random pics of the EWP installed :

for what its worth enjoy!!

i do apoligize that it isnt a full detailed write up

if you want a more thorough write up ( how to ) visit here:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=26

even shows a 7 rwhp gain

Last edited by skeet; 11-14-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks awesome Skeet. This is one of my favorite modifications as well.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why did you ahve to mess with the idler pulley? That because you went to a car style intake?

Ive got a pump sitting on the shelf in the garage Ive been lazy about installing but Im going to be running a blower so my pulley system will be staying the same.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krambo
Looks awesome Skeet. This is one of my favorite modifications as well.
mine to, it keeps the engine really cool even down here in the southeast, its pricey but well worth it.. i actually followed your build which helped make the decission on the EWP

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Why did you ahve to mess with the idler pulley? That because you went to a car style intake?

Ive got a pump sitting on the shelf in the garage Ive been lazy about installing but Im going to be running a blower so my pulley system will be staying the same.

yes, plus with car intake you have to modifiy the truck alt. bracket which takes out the part where the pulley actually resided at.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM

I wanted an EWP because a lot of guys on Tech have reported decent gains in mileage, the hp it gives is a plus for me and I also got it for a decent price used. Ive searched for months and months on tech and missed out on multiple 350 and 375 sale prices

I also like the fact that you can rig up a manual switch to turn on the EWP and your efans and really cool your truck down quick while sitting still.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
Chase user name (SS2004) or something like that has an EWP for sale.

What are the "claimed" rear wheel gains?
Yeah I bought his for 400, a little more than what the others Ive seen go for but his had a lot less miles than most so I went ahead and bought it.

IDK what the claimed gains are but there are a few dynos floating around that show 7-8rwhp. Definitely not a big bang for the buck hp wise but if it gives me a little better mileage Ill call it worth it since I didnt spend the 600 for one new.

Im looking to make the most power with the least amount of boost since I tend to be heavy on the skinny peddle Id like to have my power with a long lasting motor. Been trying to snag a gz pump off tech but those go as fast as the EWPs do