Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

F*rd Torsion Keys Final question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F*rd Torsion Keys Final question!

Ok, Hopefully The experienced will clear this topic up!!!
The the stuff I originally found on this site convinced me to purchase these to level out my 03 Sierra Ect Cab z71.

Either I read it wrong or I'm seeing totally two opposite sides of the spectrum.

I have read the following;

Keys vs Cranking
1) keys ride better
2) easier process

On the other side
1) keys rode worse than cranking
2) keys destroyed my crossmember

I'm looking for a summary>
I have the keys already but if The cranking method is found to be better than I'll return them. The reposne doesn't seem to be opinion oriented when it comes to chewing up crossmembers! I know two people can't agree on ride so I'll be the judge of that. I love the stock ride how it is, If that gives any sort of clue.

In the long run I'm looking to level the Truck and prolly run 32" tires, no biggie.

Just comments if you have done either method, Thanks!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You ghostin us ***** F*ker, You give up are position one more time, I'll bleed you, real bad leave ya here.

tttt
Old 09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

LOL! Nice quote...Predator ownz!

I've installed a set of Ford keys on a '01 Z71 and it was fairly easy, but I don't drive the truck so I don't know if it rides any different. The truck previously had the Tbars maxed out. With the Ford keys it got about an inch taller up front (with a few turns left on the bolts). The only reason we did the keys was because he was running a 35" tire with only a 3" body lift.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether you crank or use keys, there is no diff. The only advantage to keys is that you get to keep the stock crank bolt position (and don't run the risk of running out of threads in the middle of you crank session). So you get to predict precisely how much lift you are going to get from your mod. With keys it is exact, cranking you never know for sure how much room you have to play with (though you can guess by looking at the bolt threads).

Because the result is the same (loosening the torsion bars by turning them), there is no difference in the ride between cranking and using keys. Ride quality is the same.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Launching!

I'm using the ford keys. I only cranked about an 1 1/2 -2 inches above stock and the ride is a little more bouncy in the front vs. stock ride. Keys are not very hard to install. Took mayber 45 minutes for both. I think the chewed up cross members could be from installer error.