Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Fing Rats! I have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fing Rats! I have a problem...

So, the new condo I moved into has had a rat problem forever, but it didn't phase me, because it was outside. Well, the rats have decided tht they like black silverados. Anyways, the friggin rats are eating through the computer harness, the wires going to the spark plugs etc. I cannot park in the truck and am about to trade my truck in for one that will fit, because the dealership guy says he sees this all the time, and it is EXPENSIVE. So, has anyone ever mounted some decon or something in their engine bay? Has anyone else ever even had this problem? If so, is it safe to put crap like that in the bay?

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn rats. That would freak me out if I seen rat scurrying out of my engine bay. Idk if you can put stuff like decon or anything in your engine bay and drive with it. I mean, maybe you can stick some stuff along the fire wall but I would imagine anything you do would have to be away from any source of massive heat, idk wht kind of fumes that crap will give off, since its poision and all.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, that's what i said. I think with the heat, it would cause dissapation of the poision into the air which would come through the vents, don't ya think? I saw the footprints, and this looks like a good size sucker, and several smaller rats. Well, I guess it may be time to look at smaller trucks :-(
Old 09-20-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

you can have the ppl that own the building take care of it... i mean you cant even park there without something happening to your car... they should really be paying for that too? its THEIR rat problem ya know? Is this a place where you live or just come by on occasion?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

You could just stick a big *** spring trap with bait on it under the hood. Just don't forget about it when you start to go somewhere. I honestly have never heard of a problem quite like that before.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks...I see that at the dealership all the time. Rodents work their way into the engine bay, build nests, and eat through harnesses. I saw a mouse hanging out by my truck the other day and immediately thought "if that little bastard tries to build a condo in my Volant..."

Too bad I'm allergic to cats, or I'd get a big, mean, carniverous one with a taste for rodents....do dogs eat rodents??
Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Put moth ***** under the hood. Rats can't stand the oder. We had rats around the house and in the attic. We put out a pellet poision that after they ate it there would be no oder from the dead rats. Haven't seen any or heard any in a long time.

Last edited by Silverdoman; 09-22-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

I Have Seen This At The Dealershipa Few Times.i Don't Know What U Can Do
Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Either a trap or the moth ***** near the front tires. Thats got to be how they are climbing into your truck. Or throw some sticky paper down, and check it every hour to see if you get one and then pop it with a pellet gun just so you feel better.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i like the pellet gun idea... there was a bird that kept seeing his reflection in my windows when it was parked outside my house. He would run into my windows over and over again and i had to clean that and the side of the truck down almost everyday. Well, i tried everything, from putting a plastic owl on top of my truck to keeping my dog on a leash near the truck... nothing worked untill i got smart and sat outside for hours waiting for him... preoccupied with my laptop(talking on pt.net of course) and finally he hung out around the truck just long enough and i got a good shot on him... i got tired of getting bird crap all down my doors... but chewed up wires is a slighty more serious problem.

Quick Reply: Fing Rats! I have a problem...