Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

fire extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
I hate to rain on everybody's parade, but unless you have a Halon fire extinguisher you may as well not have one at all. Chemicals used in regular fire extinguishers can and will damage all metal and electrical components under the hood.
Maybe so but a fire will ruin the whole truck!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Self proclaimed VILLAGE IDIOT

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Maybe so but a fire will ruin the whole truck!
Hey, it's your truck... But, I refuse to use anything other than a Halon extinguisher under the hood.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was my very first mod in my tahoe. check out the first scene in this vid and you'll know why. http://deweygibson.com/Videos/carnage.wmv

STILL GIVES ME CHILLS. and a tear to the eye.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silverado_13
Hey, it's your truck... But, I refuse to use anything other than a Halon extinguisher under the hood.

Point is a extinguisher is better to have than not.
Thanks for the advice anyway!!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah id rather save as much as possible. 4.8t and a guy with a modded 8.1 liter, that both burnt were my inspiration. Mint is rated for all classes. cost me 18 dollars. the guy did say to look at the gauge every one in a while. And i would more than happy to just save my dam interior.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

halon is fine and all on stuff, but what it does to your body is another story, not to mention the enviroment, (not that Im a tree hugger).

Halon hazards include:
! Asphyxiation - Although unlikely to occur during use of a single fire extinguishing unit, exposure to high concentrations of halon gas may cause an oxygen deficient atmosphere.
! Central Nervous System (CNS) - Inhaling high concentrations of halon gas can cause dizziness, tingling in extremities, and in severe cases, unconsciousness.
! Cardiovascular Effect - Exposure can cause cardiac sensitization. Cardiac sensitization occurs when a chemical causes an increased sensitivity of the heart to adrenaline producing sudden lifethreatening, irregular heartbeats and even heart attack, in severe cases.
! Irritation of exposed skin and eyes may also result from exposures to halon.
Decomposition products of halon can be very toxic. The decomposition takes place when halon is exposed to a flame or to a hot surface at or above 900 degrees F. During decomposition the atoms of the halon molecule breakdown and can create high concentrations of toxic gases. Before entering into an area where a large fire was extinguished, toxic atmosphere tests should be done to ensure safe entry and occupancy of the area.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoChrome
halon is fine and all on stuff, but what it does to your body is another story, not to mention the enviroment, (not that Im a tree hugger).

Halon hazards include:
! Asphyxiation - Although unlikely to occur during use of a single fire extinguishing unit, exposure to high concentrations of halon gas may cause an oxygen deficient atmosphere.
! Central Nervous System (CNS) - Inhaling high concentrations of halon gas can cause dizziness, tingling in extremities, and in severe cases, unconsciousness.
! Cardiovascular Effect - Exposure can cause cardiac sensitization. Cardiac sensitization occurs when a chemical causes an increased sensitivity of the heart to adrenaline producing sudden lifethreatening, irregular heartbeats and even heart attack, in severe cases.
! Irritation of exposed skin and eyes may also result from exposures to halon.
Decomposition products of halon can be very toxic. The decomposition takes place when halon is exposed to a flame or to a hot surface at or above 900 degrees F. During decomposition the atoms of the halon molecule breakdown and can create high concentrations of toxic gases. Before entering into an area where a large fire was extinguished, toxic atmosphere tests should be done to ensure safe entry and occupancy of the area.

AAHHH you may kill yourself but,at least you'll save the (metal and electrical components under the hood)LOL!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

thanks Trev. halon it is. no oxygen...................no fire.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the best brand/type to have in your truck, also thats a nice spot to mount it
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we have halon on our aircraft. you don't wanna be in a wheel well if that thing goes. people have fallen out from just being near an eng when that stuff goes off.

Quick Reply: fire extinguisher