Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

fixed my screwed up speed o - cluster and tac - stepper motors

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixed my screwed up speed o - cluster and tac - stepper motors

I finally got around to it . . . it was pretty easy.

I searched ebay for some "GM Stepper motors" to fix my cluster. The speed o was always pointed downwards. I could pull off the face, and reset the needle back to zero, but as soon as the truck speed up, it wouldn't return when I would slow down.

The tac was also more like a slow second hand when it would move under heavy acceleration. . . . replaced that, and it's better than before. . .

Solder iron - low watt . . .
pack of 20 stepper motors
20-30 min . . . and it was complete
I used HP Tuners to set the MPH and RPMs

there's 4 contacts to disconnect. It's easier to open up the stock motor, and cut the contacts short, and then de-solder them.

I'll post some pics but it's pretty straight forward once the cover is off.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Wanna do a complete write-up My speedo will get off after a long drive or if it idles for any length of time.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My speedo does the same thing. I spoke to one of the service guys at a local dealership and he told me it is a know issues and it completely covered under warranty to either 70,000 or 75,000 miles. If you over the mileage, all you have to pay is labor which IIRC is $140. It requires going to the dealership, they pull your cluster out to get some info from it, reinstall it, they order the replacement cluster, call you when it comes in, then you have to bring your truck back to the dealership for them to replace the cluster.

I would rather fix it myself than having to go through the process at the dealership. Pics and/or a write up would be a big help.

How much were the GM Stepper Motors?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by three83
. . .
they were cheep . . . $3-$4

I tried 3 different dealers in the area, and they all wanted $500+. I was at 118K miles when mine stopped working.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I desoldered the motors on my last truck when the Oil Press whacked out, about as easy as it gets even for a soldering novice like me. Like you said 30 min tops and you're back in business. Biggest concern to me was not breaking the clips when taking the cluster apart. Google it, there are a couple how toos that helped me out.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

can this same thing be done in the 99-02 clusters??
ive already done my dads 03
my tach only goes to 4k even though the motor is spinning to like 5800 which is what my tune is set for. and my speedometer acts up everyonce in awhile.
by the way this is a denali cluster with blue leds on my 02 silverado...
sorry about the thread jack man but i can see your advanced with this stuff by your sig! hahaha
Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

My speedo does the same thing. I spoke to one of the service guys at a local dealership and he told me it is a known issue and it's completely covered under warranty to either 70,000 or 75,000 miles. If you over the mileage, all you have to pay is labor which IIRC is $140. It requires going to the dealership, they pull your cluster out to get some info from it, reinstall it, they order the replacement cluster, call you when it comes in, then you have to bring your truck back to the dealership for them to replace the cluster.

I would rather fix it myself than having to go through the process at the dealership. Pics and/or a write up would be a big help.

I just went to dealer this past Thur. cause on Tues. 9-29 I'd be at 5 yrs. old on truck. I thought the lawsuit ran out at 5yrs. or a certain mileage, whichever comes 1st.

My speedo is slightly dim from 10mph-say 40 or 50mph & the gas is slightly dim near the "E". The service writer told me the lawsuit doesn't cover backlighting. Anyone know if this is true?

I had it in @36K for radio lites goin out. My dual zone A/C stays lit on the driver side & the pass side goes out at times. Works when it wants.

Tootall, I like how yours looks tho.

Originally Posted by Tootall
they were cheep . . . $3-$4

I tried 3 different dealers in the area, and they all wanted $500+. I was at 118K miles when mine stopped working.
Tootall, $3-4 for all (20) of the stepper motors, or each?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I just went to dealer this past Thur. cause on Tues. 9-29 I'd be at 5 yrs. old on truck. I thought the lawsuit ran out at 5yrs. or a certain mileage, whichever comes 1st.

My speedo is slightly dim from 10mph-say 40 or 50mph & the gas is slightly dim near the "E". The service writer told me the lawsuit doesn't cover backlighting. Anyone know if this is true?

I had it in @36K for radio lites goin out. My dual zone A/C stays lit on the driver side & the pass side goes out at times. Works when it wants.

A good friend of mine is a mechanic at a GMC Dealership. I will see if I can get in touch with him tonight to find out about the backlighting for you.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastnblu

That's going to be $3-$4 EACH. There are a couple of places that have them on eBay; some sell them individually, and others sell them in "bundles". Since he picked up 20 at one time, I'm sure that's why he only paid 3 or 4 dollars a piece for them; meaning before shipping, he spend about 60 or 80 bucks for the lot of them.

Much cheaper to do it yourself though. There is a service on eBay that will also do it for you, but I think the guy wants like $80 plus parts. Save yourself the $80 or so bucks, and learn how to do it. If you pay attention to what you're doing, you can't screw it up...as long as you have BASIC soldering skills. A strong, solid solder joint is essential with any electrical connection. If you (or anyone) needs a few basic tips, just PM me and I'll be more than happy to help.

I've always had a problem paying someone else to do a job that I know I can accomplish on my own (or with an extra set of hands), and that I know I will do right.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

A good friend of mine is a mechanic at a GMC Dealership. I will see if I can get in touch with him tonight to find out about the backlighting for you.
That'd be cool.

Quick Reply: fixed my screwed up speed o - cluster and tac - stepper motors