Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

flex fuel info

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flex fuel info

so here in texas, in a month it is said that gas will be mixed with 10% ethanol.. supposedly all engines can run 10%. the prices though will be pretty much the same and this raises a few questions. ethanol in fact is corrosive and will take years of chevy quality engine life unless someone has stainless steel engine components somewhere and octane with 10% would be raised to 95 or 97 i think but still, why would the government want to put corrosive fuel in our engines. god knows that E85 would do. boycott 10% ethanol southern test!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Im not bashing you or being rude but on what grounds do you know for certain that ethanol is that corrosive. I have heard of methanol being corrosive but I havent heard anything about ethanol being corosive? They are both alcohols but would that cause corrosion? Basically i am asking, where are you getting your information from. Im very curious about this whole ethanol thing and am wondering how it will affect performance. Keep us posted!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm all for more octane. I'm not scared of ethonal because I can run FF.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your about 36 years behind back in the 70's it was mandated that all engines in the US be able to run at least 10% ethanol and gas companies have been using up too 10% ethanol in our gas currently. Every bit of gas youve ever used has had at least a small percent of ethanol.

The new flex fuel engines can run 85% ethanol (E85) and it has an octane rating of around 107 but it has less potential energy so worse gas mileage.

Ethanol is more corrosive than gasoline but it doesnt apply to metal parts, the main concern was its use with carborated engines, with FI we have alot less to worry about.

Dont know about you but Id much rather employ our farmers than habib and alksari in the gulf. Plus if you get busted with white lightning you can always use the excuse that its for the truck
Old 04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
The new flex fuel engines can run 85% ethanol (E85) and it has an octane rating of around 107 but it has less potential energy so worse gas mileage.

Dont know about you but Id much rather employ our farmers than habib and alksari in the gulf. Plus if you get busted with white lightning you can always use the excuse that its for the truck
I read the government reports that said my yukon xl drops 4mpg with e85, but I also read over 50 consumer reports, CBS NBC reviews and interviews where people reported more power and NO loss in MPG. I must say I am leaning toward believing the consumer reports because they have nothing to gain or loose by the use of E85, unlike the government that makes millions off fossil fuel taxes.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

I read something negative about the E85, but I"ll have to research where.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I do agree with you 100% about supporting our corn farmers instead of the middle east. It would really benifit our economy. Less money on fuel, more money to farmers= more money for better things like trips and vacations, truck mods, and alot of other things.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 PM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

very true about employing farmers and helping them out. cant remember where i read my info but if its not corrosive to metal then thats alright thanks for the rebuttle...white lightning?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

white lightning is moon shine, pure alcohol. Alcohol is not corrosive to metal but the rest of the fuel system like plastics and o-rings may be damaged. It dries them out making them brittle. Even that takes quite a while. Fuel trims and injector pulse are different for FF, but I think timing is the same.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake Eater
unlike the government that makes millions off fossil fuel taxes.
might not be billions but miilions just doesn't do it justice you know...millions doesn't sound as big as 900 million. Taxes, lobbyist, campaign funds...the list goes on.

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Plus if you get busted with white lightning you can always use the excuse that its for the truck
Woo HOOOooooo

Quick Reply: flex fuel info