Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Flexplate is coming loose!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flexplate is coming loose!

Has anyone had a problem with there flexplate bolts loosening? I've tracked down this awful rattling i'm getting to my flexplate/converter. My converter bolts are way tight, so i know thats not it. Is it possible that my flexplate to crankshaft bolts are somehow working there way loose?? its definately where the rattling is coming from, i can hit the flexplate with a rubber hammer and it rattles like crazy. Is there any way i can get a wrench up there to check and see if they are tight?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Veteran

No way on the wrench. There's no way to get one on the flexplate bolts. I assume you're talking about where the flexplate bolts to the crank.

Did you replace the flexplate at all? Have you ever had it off? If not, then I'm willing to be its cracked. I did the same thing on my car. I had a rattle that I couldn't find and I finally traced to the flexplate. It was to the point where the flexplate was wiggling. I craked it in 6 places and once around all the bolt holes.

It happed after one track outing with the new stall. I recommend upgrading to an SFI certified one if that is the culprit.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
No way on the wrench. There's no way to get one on the flexplate bolts. I assume you're talking about where the flexplate bolts to the crank.

Did you replace the flexplate at all? Have you ever had it off? If not, then I'm willing to be its cracked. I did the same thing on my car. I had a rattle that I couldn't find and I finally traced to the flexplate. It was to the point where the flexplate was wiggling. I craked it in 6 places and once around all the bolt holes.

It happed after one track outing with the new stall. I recommend upgrading to an SFI certified one if that is the culprit.

I'm almost positive that its the culprit of my problem, i mean the only other thing attached to it is the converter and i know its not that. I've never even had a wrench on those bolts, If i would have known they would work there way loose i would have took them out and put loctite on them and really torqued them down when i had my tranny out for the converter swap. I look closely today and i will most likely have to unbolt the whole transmission so i can tighten them up, or replace the flexplate/flywheel.(whatever u like to call it)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have to agree with vanillagorilla, I'll almost bet it's cracked. I've cracked a few flex plates in my day, but haven't seen them just loosen up on their own before.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly! Especially since you have never touched those bolts before. A high stall will do that to a flexplate, because it shocks it more.

No matter what it is, you're going to have to un-bolt the tranny, and slide her back. If you want to though, remove the starter, and the plastic inspection cover and have a look-see at the flexplate. Rotate it around a few times, and I'll be you'll find a crack.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

WEll damn, i just plain have bad luck, well not really i guess theres always a risk when u modify your ****. Anyone know where i can get a flexplate online for cheap. Or like what gorilla said, where could i get a sfi one?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm sure any of the sponsor's have an SFI one. One for an f-body should work and be the same. A factory one could be had from any junkyard though.