Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Fog lights coming on with the headlights mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights coming on with the headlights mod

There use to be a module that was a quick install and allowed the foglights to come on with the headlights instead of having to push the button. They went out of business so now we have to come up with a new ways. I saved a good thread that has info on how to do this but of course I can't find it now. Also tried the search but didn't come up with it either. I'll have the truck in the garage for work this weekend so that will be a good time to take care of the lights too.

Anyone have info abou this?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 12-16-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here it is. You just wasn't holding your tounge right when you did the search. I did it to my 05 truck, works great!

Folglight/low-high mod
Old 12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you!
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your Welcome
Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so once you do this no matter what the fogs are on correct? so there would be no way to shut them off .
Old 12-16-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, You can turn on the Fog Lights whenever you want, unless you wire up them with the headlights (like he is talking about) then if the headlights are on the fog lights are too. Doing this will not allow you to turn off the fog lights when the headlights are on, but if the headlights are off then you can operate them as normal on or off. You can almost have them in any combo you want, it just depends where you want to put the diodes.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

o well i just want it like my moms 02 camaro , when you start it if the fogs wre on last theyll be on that time . not everytime i drive at night i gotta hit a button . it bothers me sometimes . just wish it had a memory or a toggle like switch that clicked one way or another not a button
Old 12-18-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't remember the name of the company but there was one that used to make a controller that wired in and would allow the fog lights to come on with the low beams. They also had one to keep the lows on with the highs.

I stopped by my local Radio Shake to pick up some diodes. They didn't know what diodes were. Let me say that again... they didn't know what diodes were. I wanted to walk outside and check the sign to make sure I was in the right place. I ended up having to use one of their computers to come on here and check the part number. Of course they didn't have any but the guy did tell me what store to goto for them today.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by tbyrne
I don't remember the name of the company but there was one that used to make a controller that wired in and would allow the fog lights to come on with the low beams. They also had one to keep the lows on with the highs.

I stopped by my local Radio Shake to pick up some diodes. They didn't know what diodes were. Let me say that again... they didn't know what diodes were. I wanted to walk outside and check the sign to make sure I was in the right place. I ended up having to use one of their computers to come on here and check the part number. Of course they didn't have any but the guy did tell me what store to goto for them today.
The company that used to make the controller was called R&D, but they're no longer around. I eventually plan to do something to mine to give me either full time fogs and/or fogs on with hi beams. The 99-02's have a different system than the 03 and up I believe, so the diode trick won't work for me. The BCM gets a high beam signal that I may be able to disconnect...I'll probably give it a shot in the spring. I've already done the Painless 4-hi harness and made my headlights fully manual by bypassing the ambient sensor photodiode with an led (that I bought at Radio Shack....with no help from their well trained professionals lol! Funny, they don't know what a diode is, but they'll try to upsell a Verizon phone plan to you as you try to check out...)
Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbyrne

Radio Shack SUCKS now. I used to love going there and checking out all sorts of stuff, I wished they still had some IC's(Integrated Circuit Chips) I am doing a little project and in need of some bread board, IC's, and some other stuff. You may see it when I get it done some day

Let us know how it turns out, PM me if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: Fog lights coming on with the headlights mod