Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Fresh/Recirc Blend Door Actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fresh/Recirc Blend Door Actuator?

Had the AC on today cranking on high (setting 5) and set to fresh when suddenly the fan got louder and blew harder as though it switched to recirc on it's own...which it did. Pretty sure this has happened before too now that I think about it. I switched it to recirc myself by hitting the button and confirmed that it was already there by the sound and power of the blower not changing. Switching back to fresh didn't change it either. I shut off the truck and went to the store and afterward it was functioning normally. I know that the blend door actuators can be problematic, but I've also heard of something called "auto recirculate", which my truck may or may not have. Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How hot was it on the inside of your truck? I know my truck acts rather wierd when it gets really hot on the inside. Usually it is something ac related
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Bud, mine have been malfunctioning for a while now. Whenever I start the truck I can hear the blend doors moving. Even with the fan blower off, I can't get outside air into the cab. Oh well, it doesn't affect the function of the AC.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is screwed and stuck, throwing a code B0229 if I remember correctly. Such a PITA to fix that I've just been putting it off, it could be that it was trying to cool the interior down due to heat. Been a while since mine worked right.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
How hot was it on the inside of your truck? I know my truck acts rather wierd when it gets really hot on the inside. Usually it is something ac related
The cab was cooled down enough that I had switched it from recirc to fresh, but it was about 94* and humid as hell today. It was really hot when I first got in it about an hour or so earlier though...

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Bud, mine have been malfunctioning for a while now. Whenever I start the truck I can hear the blend doors moving. Even with the fan blower off, I can't get outside air into the cab. Oh well, it doesn't affect the function of the AC.
Hmmm, interesting...might want to search this section for the "re-park procedure"...me too I suppose lol.

Originally Posted by Bigredmariner
Mine is screwed and stuck, throwing a code B0229 if I remember correctly. Such a PITA to fix that I've just been putting it off, it could be that it was trying to cool the interior down due to heat. Been a while since mine worked right.
Wish that I had access to a TechII or some other tuning software that could read body codes...I wonder if my buddy's SnapOn scanner is capable.

Seems like these buggers are more common than I even thought. If the actuator does need replacement it will have to take a back seat to the other small list of annoying repairs that I have to do first lol.

Thanks for the replies guys!