Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

fuel gauge needle flutters. WHY?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge needle flutters. WHY?!

just today, i got gasoleen at speedway and im drivin in traffic talkin with this girl. and i look down at my fuel gauge to see that lil needle fluttering so fast it was a blur. it was not fluttering through the full range of the gauge, it was mostly stationary but just fluttered so much it was a blur. why? i figured i finally sporked my fuel level sender. then i turn my truck off, go eat some tacos, come back, and it stopped doing it. get goin driving again. starts up, not as bad. then get to her house, show her how to do plugs wires and oil change. go to my buddys house, my gauge was fine. so why did my baby decide to act all funky for a lil while? maybe connection issues? relay? sender fubarred? i dont think its the relay, more looking at sender issue or connection/wire issue. watcha think?
Old 03-06-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen this many times. Almost always it is the sending unit in the tank. It also can be the cluster. It's not a relay or wiring problem.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

mine doesnt flutter but it does go up and down....like it'll be on half a tank or so and then it'll just drop to empty and then stay there for awhile and go back up....its pretty annoying when you cant trust your gas gauge lol
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Yea I've gotta 2000 Silvy that does the same ****,Been told it's the sending unit and I've got a new one in the box,But been reluctant to change it cause if you put it in neutral it'll go back to reading accurate,Can someone chim in on this,I know others have dealt with this,could ya please share how you corrected the problem.....
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The problems that you describing is the sending unit. The small contacts that rotate with the float get worn out causing the gauge to fluctuate.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3
The problems that you describing is the sending unit. The small contacts that rotate with the float get worn out causing the gauge to fluctuate.
Also causing the low fuel light to come on as well?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BKnBLK05
Also causing the low fuel light to come on as well?
What vehicle? Originally we are speaking about a 1998 Silverado. It does not have a low fuel light.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

The gasoline was having a Party, Jumping up and down!

As the night progressed, it's alcohol content evaporated, and it decided to settle down.

All right, on a serious note, have you checked your harness connection at the tank, traced it all the way back to where it bundles with the rest of the wires and enters the cab? What about the gauge cluster needle motor?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does the same, bounces around from full to empty and everywhere in between. It usually works fine from 1/4-3/4 take, everywhere else it mostly says it's empty.

Anyone know how to replace the sender? Does the bed need to come off?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Launching!

alright. so heres the funny part. i have kept more of an eye on the needle than the road all weekend. it has not done anything other than its intended job since i posted the incident friday evening. I will go under and check wires either tuesday when I get to work (we got this HUGE hole in the floor, you drive a car in, and you can do anything while they parked!) (usually oil changes though) or when it gets dry outside (rainy). as for replacing sending unit, you gotta drop tank, get new unit, usually GM has their new 3 wire conversion kit, take out old unit, drop in new one. put tank up call it a day get me a beer. the cluster has not done a single odd thing either. its plain weird. it poops on me, then decides it loves me. but then again i did get in and hug my wheel and say i love you before i started it... so... I will check the wires, and still keep a trained eye on that needle. but thanks for the posts and hints. i hope it isnt the unit. i wanna hold that off til after the longtubes, hydroboost, tune, and mpi conversion.

Quick Reply: fuel gauge needle flutters. WHY?!