Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

fuel gauge needle flutters. WHY?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okedoke. so after my second post, i got more gasoline, and filled it to the same point as before, 3/4 full. it fluttered like no ones business. figured those points on the level sending unit were fubarred. so, as i drove and the tank got emptier, it flutters still... tomorrow i will look under my truck and trace some wires. that sucker flutters constant now. when i turn the key to prime, it does its very own self check. it will go all the way down and then back up and then go to where the fuel level says it is. then it stopped doing that. but it does it sometimes. so guessing if the wires are okay, sending unit? well i looked at prices. its 44 bucks online for the unit. heres the funny thing. the whole fuel pump and sending unit is 361. for that price, i can get it already installed into a new tank. autozone sells the tank, fuel pump and unit all in one for the same price. i was thinking just replace the darn sending unit, but im thinking with my other issue of when i perform key on engine off, pressure hits 70, then drops to 17 and holds, within 4 minutes its at 0. guessing the checkball in the pump is pooped. so... guess i get to sit on that one, and im doing the scfi to mpi conversion... kinda wonderin if i should shove a supra TT fuel pump in there and call it quits... wish i had an external fpr. >_> anyone got a gen4 454 layin around? lol
Old 03-16-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you need is the fuel level sender. Im not sure if yours is separate or different than the newer trucks. I am looking for a part number for one for an 03. I did the old one on my 00
Old 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced mine today with p/n 89060640. I got it off eBay new for $35... what a steal! Came with the new sender, float, wiring, connectors, and gasket for the pump assembly. One of the pins on my old one had broken off, causing an incorrect/bouncy fuel gauge. The swap was plug and play. Took about an hour to do by sliding the bed back. Now the gauge works finally!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Flutter is NOT caused by the sender.
It's the stepper motor in the guage.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Launching!

well i was thinking that too, but then when i let my truck go to almost empty(i never do that but it was a test) when it got to the red line it worked okay. when i got gas, it fluttered so im guessing the resistor spots on the sender unit are all fubared on most of the spots.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Usually if the fingers on the sender are bad, you will get erratic readings and the needle will 'jump' around alot.
With the 'fluttering'....the needle still shows correct tank level but the needle looks like a hummingbird.
I've changed pumps numerous times with no change to the 'hummingbird effect'.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Launching!

anyone know a part number or where to go to get this stepper motor? all i find is the speedo motors for the 03-06 trucks.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

THAT is the million dollar question!
Seems they're not available for these trucks.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Launching!

yeah, I did a lot of snooping around. My bud printed out the wiring diagram for my cluster so im going to go on a thought of possible bad ground. I noticed when i start my truck the needle was real spastic, then as i increased rpm it settled down, then lowered rpm it got spastic, then again increased rpm. I also noticed my interior lights flicker just very slightly. they are all led lights so it is a little easier to spot a flicker. Today I am going to start snooping around before work. hopefully I dont have to send it in for repair. because there are places that repair it, yet dont sell the parts. I will let you all know how my snooping goes. hopefully well. but, if i do need to send in for repair, ill do it while my truck is in the body shop from some doody head hit and run at my bowling alley parking lot. luckily my friend got his plate while i was bowling. and i was bowling damn good that night too.