Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Fuel level sensor, what the dealership told me...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
How hard would the sensor be to replace in a tahoe? I assume I have to drop the tank down since I have no bed to lift off to access it.
yeah you would have to drop teh tank.... but it shouldnt be that bad
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

So my fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank after every time I fill up... not a big deal to me. But I put my truck in for the gauges to be replaced under the GM warranty and asked them to check out the issues with the gas gauge.
Here is what I was told:
"The fuel level sensor is going bad, and when it finally shorts out, it is going to take out the fuel module and fuel pump with it, another $680 to repair."

Is there any truth to this? ...because I don't really care if my gas gauge is exact since I rely only my trip meter, but if it is going to mess things up later, I guess I have to replace it.
If it is under warranty then why don't you just have them replace it?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
If it is under warranty then why don't you just have them replace it?
I would... but it is no longer under warranty But that just means I can put a cam in and not have to worry about voiding anything
Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

So my fuel gauge reads 3/4 tank after every time I fill up... not a big deal to me. But I put my truck in for the gauges to be replaced under the GM warranty and asked them to check out the issues with the gas gauge.
Here is what I was told:
"The fuel level sensor is going bad, and when it finally shorts out, it is going to take out the fuel module and fuel pump with it, another $680 to repair."

Is there any truth to this? ...because I don't really care if my gas gauge is exact since I rely only my trip meter, but if it is going to mess things up later, I guess I have to replace it.
this is prolly just the service advisor not understanding what the tech said. or the tech is an idiot.
Advisors never listen....
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

my guage has been messed up for almost 3 years, pump is still working, Im replacing it though so my wife doesnt run out of gas in it again...
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

The failure of the fuel lever sensor is commonplace here with GM. The Engineers claim it to tbe a build up of carbon and other additives in the gasoline, and that it will cause the fuel level sensor to stick. It's basically a resistance potentiometer with a float arm. But the GM Technical Bulletin reccomends the usage of a Fuel System Treatment. The GM Part number on the Treatment is 88861011. The treatment DOES contain Teflon. So the Teflon coats the sensor and keeps it working properly.

While I have had some sucess in resurecting failed fuel level sensors with this treatment, the pass/fail rating is about 60/40.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So rather than admiting its a faulty part. They blame the fuel for causing the part to fail. When the part is designed to operate in said fuel.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by viciousknid
So rather than admiting its a faulty part. They blame the fuel for causing the part to fail. When the part is designed to operate in said fuel.
That's the name of the game! The blame game.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
The failure of the fuel lever sensor is commonplace here with GM. The Engineers claim it to tbe a build up of carbon and other additives in the gasoline, and that it will cause the fuel level sensor to stick. It's basically a resistance potentiometer with a float arm. But the GM Technical Bulletin reccomends the usage of a Fuel System Treatment. The GM Part number on the Treatment is 88861011. The treatment DOES contain Teflon. So the Teflon coats the sensor and keeps it working properly.

While I have had some sucess in resurecting failed fuel level sensors with this treatment, the pass/fail rating is about 60/40.
Thanks, I'll pick some up and run it through. I'll post up the results... if any, afterwards.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by viciousknid

lol...well yeah...they aren't going to Cowboy up and say..."hey, we f'd up and made a shitty part". For some reason they can't over-engineer the part to withstand years of being submersed in carbon ricg fuel that will "gum-up" after awhile.

I know what you mean though.....I think I can design better parts than some that are out there, but I still have to say there are alot more benefits to using OEM parts over the aftermarket.....in most cases.

I mean...you know of course that if me and Dewmansu "Dewy" sat around a table with a supply of cold Corona, and got paid to design parts.......then our **** would never break....lol....!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel level sensor, what the dealership told me...