Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

GMHTP Silverado Article Now Online

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
I just received the May issue w/ the header-catback install.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just read it, Nice write up.
You need some Arp Stainless Bolts on Those bad boy headers!!
I can't wait to read what mods you try out in the next issue.

Any word on if when Stainless works will be developing headers and exhaust for the Silverado SS??
Old 03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by creederado
Just read it, Nice write up.
You need some Arp Stainless Bolts on Those bad boy headers!!
I can't wait to read what mods you try out in the next issue.

Any word on if when Stainless works will be developing headers and exhaust for the Silverado SS??
I didn't realize the SS had different exhaust needs than a typical 4x4 extended cab. I will talk to SWorks next week and see what the story is. I have to say I love the sound of the exhaust. Everyone that hears it on the dyno raves about how it sounds like a Nextel Cup car at wide open but quiets right down to a nice lopey rumble at idle.

No question the ARP fasteners would have been a nice touch, but I wanted to see if the stock fasteners would get the job done.

Yes, writing for GM Hi-Tech is a pretty sweet deal, and I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnUlaszek
I didn't realize the SS had different exhaust needs than a typical 4x4 extended cab. I will talk to SWorks next week and see what the story is. I have to say I love the sound of the exhaust. Everyone that hears it on the dyno raves about how it sounds like a Nextel Cup car at wide open but quiets right down to a nice lopey rumble at idle.

No question the ARP fasteners would have been a nice touch, but I wanted to see if the stock fasteners would get the job done.

Yes, writing for GM Hi-Tech is a pretty sweet deal, and I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity.

The SS and Sierra Denali/Escalade has a Dual pipe Cat pipe that doesn't y together like the 5.3. From there its dual pipes into the muffler with a signal pipe outlet. The 5.3,6.0 1500 pipes are very similiar with the only differance being the 6.0l' 1500 doesn't y together.The 2500 6.0 pipes are differant than the rest
The Silverado SS catback and y-pipe will fit a Ext Cab 5.3 and I'm in the process of doing it to my GMC. I want to run a catback off a SS so its duals incase I throw a 6.0 in the GMC or Boost.

I attacthed some pics of the Silverado SS pipe ves the 5.3 y-pipe(my 5.3 pipe doesn't have any cats.I also included a pic of the stock GMC exhaust and a pic of a Silverado SS catback taken form about the same view.
Attached Thumbnails GMHTP Silverado Article Now Online-img_0111.jpg   GMHTP Silverado Article Now Online-bb4.jpg   GMHTP Silverado Article Now Online-img_0174.jpg  
Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Great picturs, that really explains the difference.
I talked to Stainlesswork, they sounded interested in doing a SS exhaust.

John
Old 03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Veteran

John,

Was the headers/cat-back tuned for in your test? I wonder how the results would have turned out with an inline air/fuel ratio.

Have you seen the Supermaxx SS header & cat system? If so, this is what I believe Creederado is interested in from Stainless.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
John,

Was the headers/cat-back tuned for in your test? I wonder how the results would have turned out with an inline air/fuel ratio.

Have you seen the Supermaxx SS header & cat system? If so, this is what I believe Creederado is interested in from Stainless.
The truck has had a stock tune for all tests, I am hoping to change that within the next week. The fuel air ratio was rich as hell and timing was only advancing to 23 degrees, I am certain the lack of a tune left considerable power on the table. The air fuel ratio was about 11.9:1 on the dyno.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedisss@aol.com
I want a job at GMHTP...

same here....