Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Going to race friend's lightning tonight!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to race friend's lightning tonight!!!!

I posted a few weeks ago about juicing my truck to beat my friends lightning. Finally were going to race tonight. My friend has got lots of $$$ to spend because of his wealthy parents, and has decided to get nitrous on his lightning. I begged him to let me use it on him in a race, so today were fitting to NX kit on my truck just for the race then we will put it on his truck. Damn I can't wait for the race to start!!! It's a dry 125shot,I'm also kind of nervous because I have never used nitrous on my truck before. wish me luck, will have details of the race either tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going to race friend's lightning tonight!!!!

After he puts a dry 125 shot on the Lightning it will go Maybe not,but I remember someone posting a good while back about a 75 shot on one and the motor went.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Make sure you don't have any timing advance or BOOM will happen to you. You could make some race fuel to run advanced timing and the nitrous.

Your bud shouldn't need nitrous with that Lightning. I dunno the extent of his mods big I'd start with: stall converter/shift kit, larger exhaust, intake, TB, chip, a few PSI more boost. After that it'd need 4x4 or slicks to race on the street from a dead stop
Old 10-21-2003, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

He is going to do all of the necessary things to my truck so hopefully it won't explode. He is very good with engines, I think he just bought the nitrous just to say he has it, he's just to damn spoiled. Anyway if he decides to get rid of it I'm sure he will just had it over to me, I won't complain. BTW he does plan of getting tuning, smaller pulley, exhaust,etc.. later on. I hope I can atleast hang with him when I spray. Also about what speed or gear should I hit it??
Old 10-21-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

He is going to do all of the necessary things to my truck so hopefully it won't explode. He is very good with engines, I think he just bought the nitrous just to say he has it, he's just to damn spoiled. Anyway if he decides to get rid of it I'm sure he will just had it over to me, I won't complain. BTW he does plan of getting tuning, smaller pulley, exhaust,etc.. later on. I hope I can atleast hang with him when I spray. Also about what speed or gear should I hit it??
How stock is your truck? I'd probably just spray out of the hole. The instant input torque will make your converter flash stall higher (as stall is based on input torque) to 2000-2000 probably. That Lightning has MAD lowend power so you need to use everything you can at once. Don't go crazy with the shot 100-125 is where I'd draw the line on a totally stock vehicle...no fuel upgrades, no timing adjustments, etc

Just be careful. I know I sound like "Dear Ol' Dad" but you don't want to break anything
Old 10-21-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just finished the nitrous install on my truck, were going to race in about 30 min.!!!!!!I have the following performance mods; HPP3, K&N FIPK, Edelbrock TES headers, custom ram air set-up, true duel flowmaster exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, Helix Power Tower TBS.
My truck is a white 99 sierra sle rc/sb 5.3L. Do you think I could beat him?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

After finishing the nitrous install on my truck we drove around for about 20 min. We found a long straight road and decided that it was going to happen here. We started from a dead stop. After the third honk we took off, of course he took me off the line. By 30mph he had atleast 3 trucks on me so thats when I decided I was time to spray. I mashed the button, Holy SH@# my truck quickly started to catch him. I passed him at about 80-85, and at about 110 he passed me slowly. I topped my truck out at its top speed of 128, but still he was 1 1/2 trucks ahead of me. Anyway I can still say I was beating him for a short time. It was one hell of a rush. I need to get my own nitrous kit!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finishing the nitrous install on my truck we drove around for about 20 min. We found a long straight road and decided that it was going to happen here. We started from a dead stop. After the third honk we took off, of course he took me off the line. By 30mph he had atleast 3 trucks on me so thats when I decided I was time to spray. I mashed the button, Holy SH@# my truck quickly started to catch him. I passed him at about 80-85, and at about 110 he passed me slowly. I topped my truck out at its top speed of 128, but still he was 1 1/2 trucks ahead of me. Anyway I can still say I was beating him for a short time. It was one hell of a rush. I need to get my own nitrous kit!!!!
Why in the heck would you want to race from 0-120 plus??? Focus on the 1/4 mile, sounds like you would have taken him through the 1/4.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I would say if you were ahead of him around 100ish, then you would have beaten him in the 1/4. Should have sprayed out of the hole and raped his ***!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have to agree with y'all. Were going to go at it again tomorrow since the nitrous kit is still on my truck. This time I will spray right out of the hole!!Bye Bye lightning!! Will let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Going to race friend's lightning tonight!!!!