Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

A good, long lasting tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good, long lasting tire?

Well my mom needs a new set of tires for her Avalanche and she told me to find her some . The main thing she wants is to get some good miles out of this next set, anyone have any recommendations? She's not looking for anything special, just a safe tire that will last a few miles.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tan327
Well my mom needs a new set of tires for her Avalanche and she told me to find her some . The main thing she wants is to get some good miles out of this next set, anyone have any recommendations? She's not looking for anything special, just a safe tire that will last a few miles.
The new GoodYear Fortera. Has a 70,000mi warranty and has great reviews.
The Michelin LTX M/S rated at 60,000mi has been a great popular tire that lasts a long time.
And the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV rated at 65,000mi is another popular truck/ SUV tire choice. It is one of their quietest and smoothest riding truck/ suv tires they make.
One these three would be my choices. I sell tires and service on the weekends. Been doing it for 3yrs. I should know what you are looking for.
Just make sure you keep up with you rotations every 5k-6k. That is another key factor that people seem to forget that make a tire last.
Another way to fully extend the mileage of a tire will be using a cross rotation for only one axle.
Basically if you have a rear wheel drive vehicle you will cross your rear tires to the front and bring your front tires straight back. Vice versa on front wheel drive vehicles. AWD vehicles can just follow one or the other.
You will have to specify this for most shops to rotate them this way.
Don't ever X-rotate your tires.
Of course you cannot do this to directional tread type tires without having them taken off the rims and remounted & balanced. Will cost the directioal tread guys/ gals money each time they do this type of rotation.
Good Luck!

Jim
Old 03-09-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with the Michelins, that is what my dad runs on his Tahoe and he gets 60K+ miles out of them.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help, that is some good info CHEVY6000VHO. I've got one other question, when it comes to 20" tires do you need to rotate them more or less than a standard sized tire? I heard a while back that you need to do it more often but I'm not sure?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are there any good tires for 16" rims that have better tread patterns??
Old 03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have these the new goodyear wranglers in size 275/70 17 on my truck and I love them, they are far better of a tire then the stock wrangler ST's.
http://www.goodyearwrangler.com/good...html/index.jsp
Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

I Agree With Michelins, My Mom Fot 75k Out Of Hers On Her Explorer, But Make Sure You Keep The Tire Pressures Checked And Rotated Every 3-5k, We Sell Alot Of Tires Where I Work , And All Lincoln Puts On Their Cars Are Michelins , Unless You Were Unfortunate To Get An Ls With Contitrac, Blahhh
Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I have always been a Michelin fan. They build great tires. But the Goodyear Fortera is my choice. They excel in every area, including tread wear, traction on ice & snow, and ride. The only drawback they have is they have a higher rolling resistance than some of the other tires. But for a well rounded tire, you can't beat the Fortera.

Mike
Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Michelin LTX M/S.....I just put a set on my truck...love em! I have them on my wife's Yukon as well...smooth & quiet.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look into the bridgestone dueler a/t revo's we run them on our work trucks (3/4 and 1 ton) and we are gettin really good mileage out of them. the most we have gotten is about 95k miles and still had enough tread on them my brother put them on his Z71 and still got 20k out of them...

we drive all interstate pulling a 7klb trailer so that kindof shows how much work these tires are put through..

Quick Reply: A good, long lasting tire?