Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ha ha hemi kill

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ha ha hemi kill

Stock 5.3's are dynoing in the 240-250rwhp range stock. Those are real world numbers folks.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well let me put my $.02 in I own a RC Hemi as well as a 2000 Silverado 5.3. And the Hemi has much more power than the 5.3. I ran 9.78 at Sealy all night long bone stock in the Hemi, so who ever you ran either could not drive or was in a quad cab. My Hemi also dynoed at 273 RWHP and 310 RWTQ so the 345 rating from the factory is about right on the money. The motor actually has a lot more in it but the PCM and the lack of aftermarket are holding it back.

I raced a RC 5.3 up the Grand Parkway the other night. Beat him 3 times in a row from a stand still and from a punch. We talked for a minute and he had a intake, exhaust and a programmer. All I have is a magnaflow muffler. Now I didn't just walk away from him. I pulled out a couple lengths before he really started to come on hard but the best he could do is get even with the rear bumper and stay there. The Hemi has pretty sloppy shifting. Takes a long pause before shifting in to the next gear. I also have the 20's which are heavy as hell and that big rotational mass is a killer.

Don't get me wrong I like my chevy truck too. But the Hemi is the best bang for the buck and soon as the aftermarket catches up I think you are really going to see some bad Hemi's on the road.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, ok, that "pop" you heard is the rod coming out, Snub. All I was trying to say, and did say, was keep things in perspective. I read all the posts and wasn't too riled up until you wanted Dodge sites to post on.
In the end, we are all truck enthusiasts at heart, regardless of what we drive. As I stated earlier I am not ashamed of my 99 Silvo by any means! I wanted a quad cab with regular doors and Dodge makes a good one with a 6'3" bed to boot. The Hemi is a definite plus, tho
Anyhow, my message to EVERYONE and everything is keep on truckin and improving! Stock is for sissies.

PS - I would like to see the dyno posts for the 5.3L motors if anyone has them for the 250 RWHP numbers XL says are real. I researched numerous sites for data before selling my 4.8 and never saw anything over 220 RWHP for either the 4.8 or 5.3
Old 09-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Teching In

i agree the hemi is not what its cracked up to be. its the best gasonline engine dodge has, but for some reason or other it just doesnt have the low down torque that other engines do.

BUT THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE OF GETTING THE DODGE/HEMI instead of an equivalent chevy is that i can still afford to get the most expensive supercharger with intercooler installed and still be cheaper than the chevy.
you chevy owners must have moola coming out your *** to willingly pay this much more than a ford or dodge and for nothing.
ford has better quality and less repairs hands down. dont believe me, just check out chevy and ford in consumer reports.
for the price and too many minor/major repairs, i think CHEVY SUCKS IN MY OPINION!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Launching!

"BigBoySlim" i believe you are right about the driver error part, but it was definitly a regular cab hemi as i am not blind and have ridden in the truck i raced. it was also about 100 degrees out with a high humidity factor when we raced so that could also have effected the times. "hemiowner" i may be wrong but from browsing the web and talking to my friend with the hemi i have not heard of any supercharger kit made for that truck yet, i may be wrong, but if not what kit are you speaking of that is cheaper than a comprable GM kit.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Truck addict

i agree the hemi is not what its cracked up to be. its the best gasonline engine dodge has, but for some reason or other it just doesnt have the low down torque that other engines do.

BUT THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE OF GETTING THE DODGE/HEMI instead of an equivalent chevy is that i can still afford to get the most expensive supercharger with intercooler installed and still be cheaper than the chevy.
you chevy owners must have moola coming out your *** to willingly pay this much more than a ford or dodge and for nothing.
ford has better quality and less repairs hands down. dont believe me, just check out chevy and ford in consumer reports.
for the price and too many minor/major repairs, i think CHEVY SUCKS IN MY OPINION!
uhhh, i guess welcome to the site! and as far as price goes. i paid less for my truck that what most HEMI POWER owners paid for theirs. (according to a thread at one of the dodge sites) (and two friends that have both purchased HEMI POWER trucks) So i can only go by what i have read and have been told by both of them.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The supercharger/intercooler kit for the Hemi is still in the final stages of R&D by Kenne-Bell. They have delayed the release twice now and are projecting an Oct ship date. They have not released pricing, either, so we're not sure if it will be similar to the Radix system for the Chevy's. Man, I wish Magnacharger would work on one I love that Radix kit!
One last thing, the aftermarket has not caught up to the Hemi yet. Getting parts for my Chevy was very easy, seemed like everyone made parts for it. The Dodge section, especially the Hemi parts, is almost non-existant! My Ford friends told be about this but I never thought about it until I wanted to play with my 03 Dodge. Bummer
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Truck addict

i'll admit, when the aftermarket finally does catch up, there will be some fast hemi's out there. my question is, how long will the tranny last. i know it is a new 5 speed (i was told mercedes designed it). and parts for now are, exhaust, intake and torque converter. that should be three things you can do. Not much but still something.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Price was also a big factor in my desision. I was originaly looking for a chevy rc step side with the 5.3. They were 27-28K. I bought my truck for 23K with 20's, billet grill, sport package which is color matched bumpers and fog lights and the Hemi. IMO it handels better and definatly brakes better than my chevy. So I felt I got more for my money. But I am still a die hard GM man at heart.

Kenne Bell has been working on a SC but like it was said above it has been delayed due to tunning and the fly by wire system. His test truck is rumored to have put out 505 HP but the production version will be more like 430ish. Also Whipple has one in the works but are being very hush hush about it. Rumor is that it might be offered as a dealer installed MOPAR performance part.

Anyway for now we are just happy to get the basics. Intakes, exhaust and now headers (longtubes and shorties) are avalible. A company called APS is about to release a TC for the new tranny. A number of guys are already running giggle gas on them and a SC should be avalible shortly. Another company is woking on cams, RR's and springs. All we really need now is for someone to step up with a programmer or some way to tune the PCM.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Hey eric whats up i got a story! i went to the track on friday and that guy with the silver supra came and talked to me, he turned out to be the c.e.o. of mpv motorsports!!! where i got my exaust from and he is going to hook me up with some good parts! i also got beat by the fastest car at the track it was that small white truck that ran a 5.63 aginst me! and that blue vett was a c5! all my times were 9.50 and lower but i only ran 4 times cause there were sooo many people there. and then out of now where rolled in the cream machine, i saw that bastard coming and i was in the cover of two 7 sec supras he didn't dare challange me!!! by the way the hemi really isn't that fast neither is eric's truck! a trooper is where its at!!!!!!!!

I drive a vr4 because its faster than a truck!

the end

Quick Reply: ha ha hemi kill