Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Help with coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with coolant leak.

I have a coolant leak. It not sure where from. It looked like it was leaking from the thermostat housing. I can't remember if there is only the tuber ring around the t-stat or if there was one on the housing too. It's an 04 so it's not the one piece housing thingy. At the same time there is coolant all over the heater lines and other places above the housing.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBHOE
I have a coolant leak. It not sure where from. It looked like it was leaking from the thermostat housing. I can't remember if there is only the tuber ring around the t-stat or if there was one on the housing too. It's an 04 so it's not the one piece housing thingy. At the same time there is coolant all over the heater lines and other places above the housing.
Sounds like you need to do some more exploreing. Try looking at the Plastic Heater fittings, the plastic becomes brittle and start to fracture then they can leak.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Oh I hope not. I'll look tomorrow and see.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea those "Y" plastic fittings suck.
I had a coolant leak from the Tstat housing on my truck. Hadnt touched it in a year and all of a sudden coolant started dissappearing. Finally it got bad enough where it wasnt evaporating and i found it. One of the bolts were stripped and leaking from the bottom.

If there was a way you could pressureize the system when its cold, that might help ya.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:12 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Yea those "Y" plastic fittings suck.
I had a coolant leak from the Tstat housing on my truck. Hadnt touched it in a year and all of a sudden coolant started dissappearing. Finally it got bad enough where it wasnt evaporating and i found it. One of the bolts were stripped and leaking from the bottom.

If there was a way you could pressureize the system when its cold, that might help ya.
They make a pressure tester for that. You might be able to rent one from the local auto parts store...
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

How about a cap with a air hose fitting in it. Would that work?

To top it off I can't find my one book with the engine break down. I need to know if there are two gaskets for the housing or just the one on the t-stat itself.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To top it off I can't find my one book with the engine break down. I need to know if there are two gaskets for the housing or just the one on the t-stat itself.
That would work, just sure you use a regulator so you don't put 150psi to your coolant system!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I would strongly not recommend it!!! If you put more then 15 PSI in there, you will blow things apart. And that could get expensive and be dangerous!!! If you feel you have no other choice use, please use a working regulator and open it slowly... 15 PSI is max for a cooling system.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Found it, A factory coolant hose that goes from the throttle body to the radiator. It clicks into a holder and some how got knocked out and was sitting on the belt. It had a tiny tiny pin hole. Just enough to make a huge mess but small enough to drive every where. Lol. I spliced it with a barbed fitting. Should be good to go. No I have to clean all the mess the antifreeze left behind.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I would never pump a **** ton of pressure into the system. I have a 33 gallon stand up with a good regulator in it. I've used the same idea to find boost leaks before. Worked too, found out my injectors weren't seated correctly and the rails needed to be adjusted. Which is why I smelt fuel under boost. A little dremel and patience fixed it up nice and tight.

Quick Reply: Help with coolant leak.