Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Help diagnosing starter problem please sirs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing starter problem please sirs

I've got a 01 silverado with the 5.3. Stock trans, never been touched, starter is stock, flexplate is stock, etc.

You know the grinding sound the starter makes on the flex plate if you were to try to start the truck while the truck was already running? That sound can also be heard if you were to hold the key too long while starting the truck.

Well, I have that sound EVERYTIME I start my truck. Even if you barely hit the key to start, it grinds. It's developed over a period of a couple months. What is this a sign of? Starter sticking and dragging the teeth? It still starts right up, just with a grind.

Also, the truck runs like absolute **** upon cold startup until you give it gas, then it's fine. Literally, you can start the truck in the am and it idles like it has a cam lol. Then give it gas, it evens out after trying to die. The rest of the day no problems. But EVERY morning it does this. Could these be related?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty easy to pull the starter and have Slow Reilly test it. Solenoid could be worn out and not engaging all the way. And check for damage on the flexplate and starter too just in case. For cold starts, I've heard that's a common bad fuel pressure regulator symptom. BTW you can get starters on Flea Bay for half the price of auto stores, just the warranty exchange process is obviously less convenient.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen loose starter bolts cause starter issues like you describe. Have you checked anything yet? If that's good, pull the starter, check the nosecone for cracks, and check the teeth on the starter drive, and on the flexplate.

Your other issue is not likely related. Check the fuel system as mentioned above, and check the condition of your plugs & wires as well.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. The trans is coming out for some goodies soon and I'll fool with the starter then. May even buy a new flexplate from circle d or something just cause.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The starter could be dirty inside causing a high resistance and higher than normal amp draw while starting. Only way to fix that is a rebuild or replacement. I'd make sure nothings damaged regardless if the trans is coming out or not.

A better flexplate would be a good idea for sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice here...I'm just guessing, but usually when I see this problem you need a "starter and flywheel"...I put that in quotes as it was a term that I used daily when I was a Toyota tech, and would write on the back of the repair order when I was on my way to parts for prices . The starter motor would start to get tired (high resistance), and doesn't shoot the gear out far enough, and it eats up the flywheel, and they both end up needing replacement. If you have 12v going to the starter solenoid, all the connections are good, the battery cables aren't corroded internally (which will cause resistance and also allow the starter gear not to fully extend), the starter isn't loose, etc., my guess is a new starter and flywheel will cure your issues. Definitely check the starting and charging system for resistance though...the battery cables have been known to corrode internally, under the insulation where you can't see it. It's usually close to the battery though...