Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Help: Factory alarm with no remote!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help: Factory alarm with no remote!

My sister's purse got jacked out the trunk of her friend's car at a club last night. Ghetto *** club! Anyway, her truck got struck by lightning (https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ight=lightning) a few years back, so she only has one remote. She does have a spare set of keys though.

My question is, what will happen if we unlock the door with the key and the alarm starts to go off? How do we turn the alarm off, just stick the key in the ignition and turn it on? Will the truck be driveable? I'd check on my truck, but I ditched the factory alarm crap not too long ago.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Mr. Obvious

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im 90% sure that you just turn the key on if the alarm goes off and it will quit. i know i have done that on my dads 04 silverado and stepmoms 01 tahoe, but i always had the remote on the same key ring, not sure if it makes a difference
Old 02-10-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you unlock it with the key the factory alarm is disabled. you can get in the truck and drive it away. Even when the factory alarm is triggered you can stick the key in the ignition and turn it to turn it off. The only way to trigger the factory alarm is to unlock and open the door from the inside (as if a window was broken or left down).

You can buy replacement remotes on ebay and program them to work, usually instructions are given with the remote from the seller or can be found online.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nick™
if you unlock it with the key the factory alarm is disabled. you can get in the truck and drive it away. Even when the factory alarm is triggered you can stick the key in the ignition and turn it to turn it off. The only way to trigger the factory alarm is to unlock and open the door from the inside (as if a window was broken or left down).

You can buy replacement remotes on ebay and program them to work, usually instructions are given with the remote from the seller or can be found online.
Hey I have a couple of spare remotes, if you're interested, PM me.

Lisa
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool thanks guys. It's actually parked at the same apt complex that my truck got broken into in June. Hopefully it's still there.