Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

HELP!!! Lightning Strike:Electrical Guru's Inside!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Lightning Strike:Electrical Guru's Inside!!!

I get a call tonight from my sister whose stranded in the parking lot of the restaraunt. She has a BONE stock 2001 Sierra ECSB. She said when she came outside her headlights were on.

That's kinda wierd and when she went to unlock the truck via the remote, it didn't work. She got inside by using the key, but the interior lights didn't work. She tried starting it and it would crank and then stop.

I figured it was just a dead battery, due to her leaving the lights on. Wrong! She got there in the daylight, so she didn't turn on her lights. The battery is fine, with enough to crank the engine. I disconnected the batt, and when I re-connected it, the headlights came back on? WTF?!? I can't get the headlights to turn off. At least the interior lights work now.

Also the left side of her gauge cluster doesn't work, no tach, no security/battery light, nothing. The radio will come on, but with no sound. I can hear the fuel pump working so that's probably good to go.

I said, "You know it seems as though this thing was struck by lightning." Her friends were like...."Oh yeah, there was that really big hit we heard...ya it scared everyone." Hmmm....now were getting somewhere. A quick parking lot inspection revealed some charred rocks near by, that turned to powder when touched.

Well there ya go, that's probably what happened. Now how the hell do I fix this? Where do I begin to look, all the fuses are fine. It just cranks for a sec and then shuts off. It won't fire, like its not getting spark.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe the MAF got shocked to hell!!?? I dont know I'm just throwing something out there
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

How close to the vehicle is "near by"? If it is close enough to receive a direct arc from the bolt (~10M), the PCM/BCM is probally fried. Depending on how much current went thru the electrical system, if could have even melted some circuits together a the wireing level.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the relays too. hopefully you will find something there. Does it stop cranking on its self, or does it just crank with no atempt to fire? Maybe a sercurity relearn will help the engine.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what to tell you.....That is some freaky **** though!
Old 07-21-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wifes Tahoe was struck by lightning. It hit the antenna and exited the front wheels.
Fried every module on it, blew out the side air bags and some other stuff. Good thing we have full coverage insurance, took over $5000.00 to fix it
Old 07-21-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Check all the relays too. hopefully you will find something there. Does it stop cranking on its self, or does it just crank with no atempt to fire? Maybe a sercurity relearn will help the engine.
Yes, it stops cranking on its own. It's just like "bumping" the engine. I know for sure a security relearn will need to be performed. No security light and no remote.

Originally Posted by BigKID
How close to the vehicle is "near by"? If it is close enough to receive a direct arc from the bolt (~10M), the PCM/BCM is probally fried. Depending on how much current went thru the electrical system, if could have even melted some circuits together a the wireing level.

The toasted rocks were less than 5 meters away. Her insurance covers lightning and "Acts of God", so I think she's going that route. I could spend days looking for the problem, and I have no means of re-coding her alarm/remote, PCM and BCM.

To add insult to injury, her truck fell off the tow truck. The driver was totally inept and he swears it wasn't his first night on the job. This guy managed to winch the truck up off centered at an angle and pull the left front tire up and over the 6" rail on the flat bed. What an *******!

I had to take her friends home, so I get this call from her infuriated that her truck is now sitting on the lower control arm. The brace isn't bent and the air dam was flexible enough not to be damaged. But I'm still going to have an alignment done at their expense.

Monsoon season sucks!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes go the act of god insurance route . Tow it to a dealer and file a claim .
Old 07-21-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowec
Yes go the act of god insurance route . Tow it to a dealer and file a claim .
Done! The hook will be here tomorrow to take it away. I'm interested to see what they find. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow dude that is some pretty crazy stuff. I would not want to touch that thing at all and let the someone mess with it are they taking it to the dealer?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Lightning Strike:Electrical Guru's Inside!!!