Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

hemi dodge ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12stones
also keep in mind the 5.7 hemi hasn't been around that long, so not many places offer and extensive assortment of mods for em, so everyone whos ran a hemi most likly was up against a stock truck w/ exuast
And they'll be lucky if any pcm help ever comes out. The 4.7 guys have been waiting a long time for a tuner, programmer, etc.

BTW, I owned an 03 Hemi 4x4 QC, and I have no doubts that my GMC was faster than the Dodge stock vs stock.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 12stones
also keep in mind the 5.7 hemi hasn't been around that long, so not many places offer and extensive assortment of mods for em, so everyone whos ran a hemi most likly was up against a stock truck w/ exuast
As much as I hate to agree, this is a valid point. Besides, a few threads back there was a guy who said with $100 in mods he got his Hemi to a 13.7 and invited anyone/ everyone to track to witness it!! Im curious to see what these things can do. If this guy's truck is a sign of things to come I dont think you will be hearing too many more stories about N/A 5.3's smoking Hemi's. Looks like the race is on!! Hey, all in good fun, right!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 PM

I think I will chime in on this one since I do have first hand knowledge. I had a 00 ext cab 2wd Silverado with a 5.3L and 3.73 gears, I sold it three weeks ago and got an 04 Ram 2wd quad cab with the Hemi and 3.92 gears. I have the 20" factory rims, the Rams with the 17" factory are quicker, the 20's make me a dog off the line although I can spin the tires. My silverado did 0-60 dead stock with 500 miles on the OD in 7.35 seconds on my stop watch. My Ram did 0-60 dead stock with 350 miles on the OD in 6.71 seconds on the same stop watch, that's a five run average for both. So, my Ram is quicker than my Silverado was comparing stock vs stock. I've also been reading something real interesting now that I'm on the Dodge sites. It seems the PCM for the Hemi has a 150 hour break in period, it's not based on miles. Several Hemi owners have reported a big boost power and mileage after the 150 hour mark, it's almost like DC detuned it for the break in period so owners don't beat it up to bad. One member of the Dodge sites has stated that his buddy and Dodge shop foreman told that this is true, 150 miles and the PCM goes to another program. I don't know if this is true or not but it may explain the low dyno numbers Hemi owners are seeing when their trucks are new. Ummmmm?
Jim
Old 03-23-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Are you going to mod the new truck??? Ive heard that alot of power is lost through the stock converters in those and that new converters are doing (or supposed to do) amazing things. It would be nice to have an "in" on what is going on with the Hemi's.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Are you going to mod the new truck??? Ive heard that alot of power is lost through the stock converters in those and that new converters are doing (or supposed to do) amazing things. It would be nice to have an "in" on what is going on with the Hemi's.
I just did the exhaust on Friday and put the AirAid intake tube on today, both have seemed to help. I only have about 40 miles since the mods so I'll give the PCM time to adjust before I give them a finally approval. I've heard the same thing about the cats but not sure if it's the 03 models only or the 03 and 04's. The exhaust is different on the 04's vs the 03's. The 03's had a single cat and one O2 sensor, the 04's have two cats and four O2 sensors like the GM engines. The cats on my truck are the small ones, like the ones that were on my Silverado so I don't if new ones would help or not and in Cali, it's illegal to replace the cats before 50K miles unless they are defective. I really like my Ram! More room, real good power, fit and finish are real good, handles and brakes well, real happy!
Jim
Old 03-24-2004, 01:41 AM
Teching In

I have raced 2 reg cab hemis.
the first was around when i first got my truck. i had my heavy rims and tires and that is it(not for sure about my muffler). it was on the freeway at a 40 roll with both of us having a passenger. he said his was stock with a stick. when we started he had the jump and i was staying with his door the whole time except when he would shift and drop back a foot. so I didnt count that race since he didnt seem like he knew how to drive.

The second was with all that is in my sig and at a stop light.he had 2 other passengers and i had 1. the roads were wet and i could not get traction with my GTII's to save my life. even after i finally gripped up he was still pulling on me. but he was defiantly not stock, he had a cut-out or dump for sure.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 4.8 with exhuast hanging with a scsb Hemi.... You must have one hell of a freak 4.8.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I own one of those aforementioned Hemi's. Mine is a 4 door with 20's. Bone stock with tailgate, etc., I went 15.6 with about 5000 miles. I was told that you need about 10,000 miles on them and they run better. I belive it because my gas mileage is about 2 mpg better than it was now that I have 25,000 miles on it.

I went to the track about 3 months ago and with only a "home made" cold air intake, I went 15.18. Once again, this was with tailgate, spair, etc. My truck weighed 5200 at the scales at HRP.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NastyGMC
Hey all, first off nice site. I'm a member at a few off-road forums, shoot i dont even own a new truck yet. Looking for a 1996-1998 z71. I just came here for some information. I have heard from several people that the 5.7L hemi will loose against a race with a stock 5.3L chevy. I know a fella that thinks his Hemi is pretty hot stuff

Wondering if anyone could post a video of a chevy owning a dodge, stock vs. stock 5.3 or the 5.7 chevy against the 5.7 hemi. 1/4 mile times or basic ft/lb torque or HP numbers would work too.

Thanks!
HP/TQ numbers will be higher in the HEMI, but I raced a SC HEMI at the track a few weekends ago. I have a ECSB with 5.3, 3.42 open diff. K&N filter and Sin. in dual out flow. The HEMI had dual flows for sure plus K&N. Don't know about rear end other than it was posi...to make long story kind of short...I got him out of the whole and about the 60' mark he pulled hard up next to me, nose to nose all the way except at the end I pulled about a nose on him. Final score...Bowtie 15.37 HEMI 15.42
Old 03-24-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive never had a HEMI even come close to staying with me. I did have one RT with a Vortech S-trim start to pull on me once. Bad thing was, i was on my way home from having my bottle refilled. Man was he surprised to see me smoke check the tires at 50mph and fly by him.

On the flip side, when they first came out with the reg cab HEMI i thought about getting one. But then i test drove it.

Quick Reply: hemi dodge ram